Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one should I buy?

Both two model that available in my country have THX 2 processing, one is the flagship (989) and the other one is second best (AVC-A11SR/4802), both have similar specs.

Please, help me…

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
I purchased a Denon 4802 and within 3 days I exchanged it for an Integra 8.2 (same as 989).

I Denon was very thin and shallow sounding and horrible with stereo music.

This is only my opinion. As always Listen for your self and buy what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by HTMAN21
I purchased a Denon 4802 and within 3 days I exchanged it for an Integra 8.2 (same as 989).

I Denon was very thin and shallow sounding and horrible with stereo music.

This is only my opinion. As always Listen for your self and buy what sounds best to you.
Thanks for your information, but this receiver only for playing movies.(surround soundtrack).

As for music listening I have dedicated audio gear.

Will Onkyo better than Denon?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Can you audition them before deciding?

If not then between these two I'd say flip a coin. I do not like the low to mid level Onkyo's but the high end products are excellent. Denon seems very consistent throughout the model range.

There, I just flipped a coin for you...Onkyo won!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I haven't heard the Denon, but I just bought an Integra 9.1U2 (same as Onkyo 989)...this thing is terrific, and VERY easy to set up and use...flexible, too.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
In my previous post I meant that the Denon was shallow and thin in HT and even worse with music. It bordered on being bright and fatigueing.

IMO the Integra is very detailed with lots of depth. It has more of a theater sound and does quite well with music.

For what it is worth the Integra/Onkyo lines do not seem to have the power output as their advertised ratings. Neither did the Denon. I am not saying that they are under powered, only that the advertised ratings seem to be over stated.

As an example I placed a Kenwood 6070 ($600) in my system and it sounded more powerful, detailed and enveloping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the AVC A11SR and can't believe what i'm reading.

The AVC A11SR is great for music and surround.

I have not heard the other mentioned, so they can be better for all i know.

The power rating stated by Denon is actuelly lower than Home Cinema Choice measured in their review:

"LAB RESULTS

Manufacturer's rated output: 7x 125W (0.05% THD, 8ohms, 20Hz-20kHz)

Measured power output @ 1kHz:

166.2W (8ohms, 0.77% THD)

Fidelity firewall: 156.0W @ 0.03% THD (8ohms, 1kHz)

Distortion @ 50W: 0.001% (8ohms, 1KHz)

Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz ±0.43dB"

Take a look here: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/index.html

and here: http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/index.html

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Magking,

I only stated that my Denon did not sound as if it was producing it's rated power. I have no means of testing it's power output. It absolutely lacked punch in the bass. I expect more from 125 watts. Read the Jan 02 review by Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity on epinions.com. Their opinion is basically the same as mine. In my experience power is not the only factor in achieving quality sound so it may have been something else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have owned and therefore heard the others and preferred them but this is irrevelant to your choice. All that matters is if you are satisfied with your choice. Isn't that what matters most?

Sound is subjective to the listener.

I ws only relating my experience and had no intent to offend anyone.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about the fan on the rear side?(ONKYO)

Is it true that it produce loud noise?

When viewing quiet scene, how about the noise?

Is it bothering you?

Can we hear the fan noise at the distance 15'?

Want to know more from ONKYO user.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eieio
how come there are so many model numbers for the same unit?

The AVC-A11SR is a AMP. and the 4802 is a Receiver, beside the tuner

there is no differece between them.

Another thing is why are everybuddy compering Onkyo's no.1 to Denon's

no.2 Price difference in Denmark is about $ 2000. between AVC-A11SR and AVC-A1SR (4802 and 5803 ) and the 989 cost about $ 150. more than the 5803 but that may be different in the US.

Have fun

MIK

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DKMIK

A quote from http://www.homecinemachoice.com/test...nAVC-A11SR.php

Quote:

The only things lacking are THX Ultra II, an AC-3 RF input, trigger outputs and a decent remote, the last two omissions are annoying when you realise that the American AVR-4802 equivalent ships with trigger terminals, the recently enhanced AKTIS RC-8000 LCD touch panel remote and an integral tuner.

I personally dislike LCD touch panel remotes anyway ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by DKMIK

AVC-A11SR in my country have THX 2 processing, the set-up menu inside the same like 5803(AVC-A1SR).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bubun
AVC-A11SR in my country have THX 2 processing, the set-up menu inside the same like 5803(AVC-A1SR).
Sorry i should have looked into that before i wrote. But then the price

Difference can't be that big, becouse them "THX" stickers are the pricey

part off them, or am i wrong about that too.:confused:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by magking
I have the AVC A11SR and can't believe what i'm reading.

The AVC A11SR is great for music and surround.

The power rating stated by Denon is actuelly lower than Home Cinema Choice measured in their review:

"LAB RESULTS

Manufacturer's rated output: 7x 125W (0.05% THD, 8ohms, 20Hz-20kHz)

Measured power output @ 1kHz:

166.2W (8ohms, 0.77% THD)

Fidelity firewall: 156.0W @ 0.03% THD (8ohms, 1kHz)

Distortion @ 50W: 0.001% (8ohms, 1KHz)

Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz ±0.43dB"

Take a look here: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/index.html

and here: http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/index.html
ONKYO's test from www.homecinemachoice.com September 2000

AUDIO ANALYSIS

Manufacturers rated output : 130W per channel 8ohms 0.05% THD

HCC measured output at onset of clipping : 141W at 1.84%

HCC Fidelity Firewall :116.79W at 0.015%

Frequency response 25Hz-25KHz : +/- 1dB

In the lab, this receiver exceeded the manufacturer's target specifications of 130W per-channel. Before the onset of clipping we measured 141W RMS allowing 1.84% THD. Employing our Fidelity Firewall (an HCC test that shows output without serious distortion) we measured 116.79W at 0.015% which is totally respectable, and not far off Onkyo's claim. The frequency response using both sweep and multi-tone signals was ruler-flat within 1dB from 25Hz-20kHz. Although the fan is noisy, the thermal stability is excellent. Under short/open circuit conditions, no 'nasties' were observed, the receiver shutting down smartly and recovering when the short was removed.

From the data above, does this mean DENON AVC-A11SR more powerfull than ONKYO 989?

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
The measured power on the Denon was @ 1khz. I can only assume that this was with 1 channel being driven. If so this would be very deceiving because power would drop considerably when driving all channels.

Both, the Onkyo and Denon have respectable power with both being about the same. Taking this into consideration I will refer back to my previous post in which I stated that power is not the only factor needed to achieve quality sound.

I personally prefer the warm Onkyo sound over the thin Denon sound. In the end my preference matters only to me as I know that there are uncounted Denon lovers who feel that Onkyo is not as good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.