Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Onkyo model number ONK TXSR600

Is this a decent reciever? I will be upgrading from a Yamaha RV 1105 that has served me well, but alas has no component inputs/outputs.....

As I am pushing the limits by buying a Panny Plasma already... I was looking for a decent reciever that can switch component video and do it well for less than a fortune.

If there are other suggestions please throw them out.....

( saving the fortune for a front projection system in a dedicated room - 5 year plan)

Thanks in advance!!:)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
If component video switching in your primary focus ... you've chosen well. According to Oncecall and Cruthfield, the Onkyo TXSR600 has a 60MHz bandwidth (hopefully this is accurate) ... which is much better than any other reciever I know of in that price range. I think my display is 37MHz ... so I'd start feeling uncomfortable at anything below that level.

I've looked at the Onkyo and like it alot ... the only thing I don't like is the lack of pre-amp outs.

One other model I could throw out there that MIGHT come close: Panasonic SA-HE200

I've seen sources claim that the Panasonic SA-HE200 is 50MHz ... but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. The Panasonic also lacks pre outs ... Although the Panasonic does have L/R Back pre outs.

[edited: Deleted a bunch of speculative babble about DTS ES Discrete / Matrix which came from a misunderstanding of DTS ES.]

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
The Denons receivers 3803 and up have 100Mhz bandwidth.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
The Denons receivers 3803 and up have 100Mhz bandwidth.
They also cost 2X what the onkyo in question does... Not really a fair comparison.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a TX-SR700 and I am really happy with this receiver.

Although I do not use the component video aspect of it (yet) the sound is great. The only thing I notice is that it plays a lot louder on Music than it does in HT. I turn it up to 30-40% of the volume for music and the sound is quite dynamic and definately loud enough for normal hearing levels. I switch to watching a movie on the same volume setting and the "loudness" is almost halved. I have to turn it up almost twice as loud to achieve the same volume I was getting in music playback(about 55-60% of max vol). Can anyone explain this?

I have a feeling that this is the case with a lot of receivers and not just the Onkyo I have. Besides 55-60% is not exactly maxing out the power of the Onkyo. Anything over 80% would probably make me deaf =).

By the way, you can step up to the tX-SR700 for around 500-600 bucks on some online websites these days. It has pre-outs (if you need it).

Thats my two shillings on the subject. =)

-gecko311

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gecko311
I have a TX-SR700 and I am really happy with this receiver. The only thing I notice is that it plays a lot louder on Music than it does in HT.
Did you try messing with the "IntelliVolume" setting?
Quote:
IntelliVolume

This setting allows you to adjust for the volume differences between your various input source components. When switching input sources, you may find that the output level for different components or input sources is different even though the main volume setting is the same. Under normal circumstances, you would then have to change the volume setting each time you change the input source. This IntelliVolume setting allows you to preset a volume level for each input source separately so that when you do switch from one input source to another, the volume is adjusted accordingly and stays the same.

The Intelli Volume can be adjusted between –12 and +12 decibels.
From the owner's manual located at: http://www.onkyousa.com/download.cfm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes I have messed around with these and choose to not mess around with changing the settings off the 0 default value.

I think this might be the case with a lot of receiver brands, where the stereo playback is louder than the dobly digital ...etc...movie playback.

However I am not turning up my receiver to like 90% of the volume when I play movies...I do not wish to be deaf. 60-70% of the volume is more than enough for movies.

-gecko311

·
Registered
139 Posts
Another reason may be the difference between line output levels for different manufacturers. Like if i remember correctly, Sony's line level is relatively low, so their volume appears low when sony component plugged into other brand of receiver. Conversly and worse, the input on the sony can be overloaded by other manufacturer's stuff if their line levels are too high. But this may be ancient history cause im a bit dated... but would explain why Onkyo added this fancy volume thingy anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by gecko311
Yes I have messed around with these and choose to not mess around with changing the settings off the 0 default value.

I think this might be the case with a lot of receiver brands, where the stereo playback is louder than the dobly digital ...etc...movie playback.

However I am not turning up my receiver to like 90% of the volume when I play movies...I do not wish to be deaf. 60-70% of the volume is more than enough for movies.

-gecko311

·
Registered
139 Posts
How much control over the crossover frequency to the subwoofer output does the onkyo have? From what I gathered, it appears to support only 3 frequencies, 80, 100, and 150 Hz or some such...

Its owners manual seems to be awfully dumbed-down compared to others...

And WHY don't they advertise their amazing video bandwidth on their spec sheet? Is it real? Anyone know for sure? What's the bandwidth on the comperable Pioneer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.