AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new cabinet that is clearly not allowing enough airflow around my Onkyo HTR-550. I'd like to add some cooling to my cabinet but I'd like my fans to come on when the receiver is switched on. Anyone know how to do this?

I have one idea. I don't use speaker B so I was thinking of running a relay by connecting wires to one of the speaker B terminals. In that way, fans could come on when the receiver is on. Plus, I could turn off speaker B from the remote and hence remote control the fans.

Can anyone see any issues with this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why don't you get a 115vac fan, put a plug on it, and use the switched ac plug on the back of the receiver?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riso /forum/post/12945916

Why don't you get a 115vac fan, put a plug on it, and use the switched ac plug on the back of the receiver?

That would have been my first choice, but the 550 does not have a switched ac plug.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use two quite pc fans (~40 cfm @12v) in my enclosed cabinet to cool my xbox. One blowing in and the other out at the back of the cabinet. I had several power supply adapters from old cell phones lying around rated around 9v. I checked the power output and they varied anywhere from 12 to 17 volts (weird you think they would be around 9v). I used a 4" drill to drill behind the cabinet and plugged the PS adapter for the fan into the switched ac plug back of the receiver has suggested by Riso.

Works great, turn on receiver and the fans turn on and the xbox feels cool to the touch after hours of use. I also have Onkyo Integra receiver 7.1 but it has lots of air around and the back of the cabinet is open for the receiver. It gets warm but the fans built into the receiver have never turned on . I have had the receiver for about 5 years with no problems..knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey6693 /forum/post/12946030

That would have been my first choice, but the 550 does not have a switched ac plug.

Ok...scrap that idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Looks like the voltage going to the speakers (at least the surround ones I tested) is about 0.2V, which I don't think is going to fire off a relay. I'd rather not have to open up the receiver but it might be my only option.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Look into current sensing power strips, like this one from Smart Strip .

Lots of threads about using muffin fans and wall rats to cool hardware. Good advice available on noise leves etc. Do a search on quiet PC

I use a variable voltage DC converter and run two 80mm computer fans at 9 volts to cool my gear. I would have used 120mm fans but they would not fit. Avoid small 120v fans as they are noisy

·
Registered
12 Posts
all onkyos are grills, throw on some bacon and itll sizzle.

if you open up the case and look on the green board thats for the xm radio, you will see a 5v + - power supply (labeled in white) thats just waiting to be tapped. It switches on when the receiver is turned on. (thats what i used for my volume knob backlighting)

But i would recommend just venting the entire cabinet. This way all your gear is cooled.

This is what i did with mine. A lego base and old pc power supply fan running on a 6v dc power adaptor.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z.../IMG_00611.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts