AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new receiver to go hdmi with. I have a ps3 to play movies with and some gaming. I am looking at the onkyo 705 or the sony 4300es. Can some one advice on which one I should buy? Is the sony worth the extra $200? I also am just looking at a denon receiver. I want to spend no more then 800. I have 71 series samsung tv if that matters. Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Did you compare features between the two receivers ?

·
Registered
498 Posts
With your budget, you can easily find an Onkyo 805 for around $800, but that Sony 4300ES is $1300, unless you're willing to go dumpster diving at some fleabag website, and risk getting gray market. If $800 is your budget, put the 805 in the table, then look at what Yamaha, Denon, HK, etc... can provide. That's a pretty decent budget to work with, you'll have lots of choices, but I really don't consider the Sony 4300ES to be one of your choices because it is $500 over budget.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have found the 4300es at the top of my budget. I have thought about the 805 onkyo but was concerned about the heat issue. I am currently looking at denon 2808 also, hk 347 and some others, but just getting myself confused. I am not interested in a yamaha have had bad experience with them in the past. Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
I guess I'm confused about your budget; is it $800 or $1300? The 2808 is well over $800, too. If you really want to keep it under $800, then the Onkyo 805 should be on your short list. But, if you're willing to spend enough for a Denon 2808 or that Sony model, then you need to look at other options in the $12-1300 price range. Also, don't let your last experience with Yamaha keep you from considering their products. But first, you need to figure out what your budget really is...

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlw02 /forum/post/12985149

I found he 4300 for 808.00.

But, did you find it at a reputable retailer, or some fly-by-night shop? I mean, there are good deals, then there are shady deals. The 4300 is in the $12-1300 price range. When an online retail is able to discount it that much, doesn't that raise a red flag? Have you checked that retailer out at Bizrate.com, resellerratings.com, etc... I've seen some online guys advertising the 4300 for $850-ish, but there are all unknown retailers, while all the established outlets have it at $1300. If you can get the 4300 at that price and are comfortable dealing with an unknown retailer, fine go for it, the 4300 wins out. But remember, that's nearly a 40% discount, what corners were cut to get that much of a discount?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased it this morning for 795.00 with shipping from authorized sony dealer. I have tracking number in hand and will be delivered tuesday. I hope I made the right choice on the receiver. I really debated about saving myself 500.00 and going with the onkyo 605.

·
Registered
498 Posts
No kidding, that is dirt cheap. I'm surprised a Sony authorized dealer would have a deal like that. MAP agreements keep them from advertising such a price, making deals like this tough to track down. So, dish... where'd you get it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a couple dealers that I could have used one is authorized electronics. They sell a bunch of different brands. They are authorized sony dealers. The do sell onkyo or denon but are not authorized dealers for them. Another is total electronics it comes shipped straight from factory.

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
Please let us know how it turns out. I have narrowed my search to the 4300 as the only option but plan to pick up locally, just for piece of mind, for only 10% off retail.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I hope it turns out OK, but as far as I can tell, these guys are NOT Sony authorized retailers . No mention of either company on the Sony website's list of authorized retailers. And with restocking fees ranging from 25% to 35%, hopefully you won't have any need at all to return the product. The people that run both of these websites seem nice enough, but they are also very small outfits, most likely run out of a basement or garage. I hope things turn out well for you, but do neither outfit appears to be an authorized retailer, so this deal is definitely a buyer beware situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the receiver on monday morning delivered. I hooked it up this afternoon and everything seems to be working great. I will do some more playing with it tonight. It was brnad new in the box too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts