AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Harman Kardon FL8550 HDCD 5 disc CD Changer bit the dust and after looking for a couple months on online classifieds for a late 1990's Denon CD Changer with Burr Brown DAC's, like my HK, I couldn't find one that I could test before purchase. The CD Changer will be matched up to a HK AVR-630 receiver and Monitor Audio Silver Series 9i speakers.

The 6 Disc Onkyo DXC390 was suggested, but have dismissed it due to poor online reviews quality control wise. The single disc Onkyo C-7030 gets outstanding reviews sonically, with Wolfson DACs. Only downside would be getting used to a single disc vs a 5 cd changer.

The Yamaha CDC-C600BL 5 disc changer apparently uses proprietary or Yamaha DAC's. How much of an improvement would it or the Onkyo C-7030 be sound wise vs an entry level Yamaha CDC-555 5 disc cd changer from the 1990s that I think used Yamaha DACs? I am currently using it as part of a bedroom system with a Yamaha RX-870 receiver.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
If you value sound quality at all, get an OPPO BDP-103. Way better.

The 5-disc Yamaha CDC-600 players are the only current ones that are worth a hoot, but the sound quality isn't all that great.

Or, you could use the digital output on the 5-disc player to go to a high-quality external DAC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My budget is under $300. Are there any good external DACs for that price? The Oppo is out of my price range.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Have you thought about ripping your cd collection to a computer for storage & then using it as a music file server to a network audio player/streamer? The music server would provide the streamer with an easy to use music library to access your music, by album, artist, genre, etc. You can even use an Android or iOS app to control the playback and other functions like build playlists from any tracks in you collection, even random playlists! The network audio player would be a straight replacement for your cd changer, devices like: Denon DNP-F109, Pioneer N-30 & N-50.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have thought of that, but I'm old fashioned, in that I don't have wi-fi, a cell phone etc. Currently thinking about using the DAC in my HK AVR-630 receiver.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Fair enough, though it's still possible to use those devices connected by wired network to a computer (assuming you have a computer), instead of wi-fi. You don't need to use a phone/tablet/pad device, the supplied remote control and built in display on the network audio player is just as good to use instead.

Certainly if the internal DAC of the receiver is better quality than the network player's own one, you can connect to that input instead. I would have thought that unlikely though as a DAC streamer like the Pioneer N-50 can actually used as a standalone external DAC in it's own right. It has an async USB DAC input for a computer, as well as standard digital coax and optical inputs. So you don't have to use its network file playing/streaming capabilities. However, you'll need to stretch your budget to ~$400 if any of this is starting to convince you getting the N-50.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My old Harman Kardon FL8550 CD Changer that unfortunately broke had two 20 bit Burr Brown PCM 1702 DACs. My Harman Kardon AVR 630 has HDCD decoding and uses unknown DAC's (24-bit/192-kHz). I'm thinking that since it was a $1299 receiver that it might have as good sounding DAC as a HK CD changer and would save the expensive and time in seeking out a replacement HK cd changer. I could instead by a cheap $40 CD changer with an optical out connection and then use the receiver's DACs. What do you all think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts