AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any input on this CD player? From the reviews, it's supposed to be surprisingly good. I just want to listen to 2-channel music and I've read this has a nice, warm sound due to the Wolfson DACs. It'd be paired up with a Marantz 1403 AVR and some Polk TSi400 speakers. Would it be best to connect the CDP to the AVR with analog cables? That way, the player would be using its DACs?

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,669 Posts
If you don't use an analog hookup then you are not using the DACs in the CD player. That said, I wonder whether you'll gain much of anything with that approach, versus using the receiver as a DAC.

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1503130/onkyo-c7030#post_24035820

If you don't use an analog hookup then you are not using the DACs in the CD player. That said, I wonder whether you'll gain much of anything with that approach, versus using the receiver as a DAC.

The player got delivered last night and I hooked it up via analog. So far, I like it
I guess I could try hooking it up via optical to see if it sounds any better/worse, but I'm pretty happy with it as is. It's a nice CD player for the price, IMO.

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried hooking up with digital optical and then digital coaxial. To me, the coax seems a little better. Anyone know how the Wolfson DAC in this Onkyo compares to the DAC in my Marantz AVR? Going the digital route and letting my receiver do the conversion seems to sound better than hooking up via analog, but my ears could just be playing tricks on me

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou  /t/1503130/onkyo-c7030#post_24044548

I tried hooking up with digital optical and then digital coaxial. To me, the coax seems a little better. Anyone know how the Wolfson DAC in this Onkyo compares to the DAC in my Marantz AVR? Going the digital route and letting my receiver do the conversion seems to sound better than hooking up via analog, but my ears could just be playing tricks on me

The analog and digital signals are probably not precisely level-matched—unless you can guarantee the volume is precisely the same you can't really compare the two. My guess is that a coaxial digital connection will serve you well. Any differences in real-world sound quality should be very, very minor—or non-existent.

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1503130/onkyo-c7030#post_24044949

The analog and digital signals are probably not precisely level-matched—unless you can guarantee the volume is precisely the same you can't really compare the two. My guess is that a coaxial digital connection will serve you well. Any differences in real-world sound quality should be very, very minor—or non-existent.

Thanks. Yeah, the volume changes slightly when switching, so it makes it hard to tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts