AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone can help, but after looking at all the threads, this location seems to be the best fit to ask. I have searched the web at many sites to try to correct a cassette deck problem I have. Though I just recently up graded my system to AV, I am very much attached to my old, 30 year old Onkyo 2-channel system and need to have it running like new.

The deck I have is a Onkyo TA-2060. For the last few years the play mode will not work, only turning the tape for a couple of seconds and shutting off. Same with the FF. The REWIND does work seemingly fine.

I`ve spent hours with the deck apart and it does have two visible belts that seem like they do not have anything to do with the drive of the hubs. It has a COUNTER belt that is looped from the counter to the play (right side) hub, there is a second belt that is looped around the REWIND (left side) hub that goes up around a round magnet that has small gap of less than 1mm to a 'HALL IC' sensor (I do not know what this sensor does, I got the location and name of this from a Onkyo service manual that does not explain much at all).

The motor is positioned in the middle of the two hubs. There is a pivoting small, rubber edged wheel, that swings from a smaller brass drive nut to each hub to turn the right side hub for PLAY mode and then swing to the left side hub for REWIND mode. I can not imagine there is a belt behind this pivoting wheel? It looks like the brass drive nut is directly driven by the motor? I just find it strange that this same motor runs the REWIND fine and runs the play and FF for just a few seconds?

Any cassette deck gurus out there with any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate any of your thoughts as I know there are many types of players with different configurations of drives.

This forum seems to have it all? There must be many cassette deck owner`s with similar issues? Maybe in another thread?

Thanks, Xczar

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
A tape deck has some mechanism to determin it is at the end of the tape - sometimes they detect tape tension, sometimes they detect wheel slipping. Sounds like you have one or the other, or both, turning the motor off. Probably a rubber part is worn out someplace. Sometimes this is easy to fix - just need to clean up the rubber surface - try rubbing alcoholic and qtip - if that does not work try getting a little more aggressive - a fine grit sandpaper followed by another cleaning might do it. Or all the rubber could be too aged and need replacing. It could just be a worn out cassette tape - try another one if you have not already. Just cleaning and lubing might get you a few more years.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Typically these decks have two motors. One for driving the rewind, FF and maybe take up. Then another more precise for moving the tape in play and record called a capstan motor. It is connected to the capstan (metal spike which engages the tape) usually by a belt. This is the most obvious point of failure. Make sure the capstan motor turns. If the play or record function is being terminated abruptly and the head and pinch roller are backing out then more like a "tape motion sensor" is causing the problem like dknightd said.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 /forum/post/18139291

Typically these decks have two motors. One for driving the rewind, FF and maybe take up. Then another more precise for moving the tape in play and record called a capstan motor. It is connected to the capstan (metal spike which engages the tape) usually by a belt. This is the most obvious point of failure. Make sure the capstan motor turns. If the play or record function is being terminated abruptly and the head and pinch roller are backing out then more like a "tape motion sensor" is causing the problem like dknightd said.

Thank you both for these posts. After reading them a few times to be sure I am not missing what both of you are saying, I wanted to troubleshoot a bit. Keep in mind, when I had everything opened up a couple of days ago, I took my trusty 30 year old bottle of Teac rubber cleaner RC-1 to task, cleaning all of the rubber components, which was only a couple of belts (one for the counter), the drive wheel I mentioned and I especially hit the pinch roller.

I first simply put a old, not wanted tape in (in case it got eaten), and pressed play. It played as it was, struggling, but not shutting off until I hit STOP, to be sure I was`nt creating a birds nest. I started hitting FF, PLAY, RW, all a few times. Little by little it got better to where I could say it is working fine now! Quickly connected my new receiver and sounded good too!

I can only think that the cleaning of the pinch roller created better contact with the captian roller which was definitly spinning (I think it is a direct drive as well, as the motor is directly behind the captian). Maybe preventing slipping with the roller and allowing the tape to be played? Dave, is this what you were thinking? I would have never guessed the captian would spin on the roller because the roller was dirty, or probably had a 'sheen' on it from being old?

Would love to be sure that was all it was. I am leaving this deck connected for a couple weeks playing it. Hopefully she`ll keep going for another 30?

Thanks again, ............. Xczar

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yep Xczar,

It sounds like you are on the right track. If the pinch roller is slick and hard it won't work properly with the capstan to grip the tape and pull it through. Make sure there is not too much drag on the supply reel. Also make sure the pinch roller's spring is providing enough tension. Check the pinch roller to make sure it is being pulled in enough to clear it's stop. You should get between 1 and 2 mm gap.

You may also be able to find a solution called rubber renewer or something like that. Typewriter techs would use this on the rubber rollers. Printer guys might use it on feed rollers too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.