AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-NR535 receiver which is 4k compatible (even though I don't plan on upgrading TV's), and I am getting errors and dropped source signal coming from my DirecTv sat box, but only on the premium channels (Disney for my daughter, HBO, Cinemax, etc.). From my research, it's from the new HDCP protection. Sometimes I just get a blue screen saying to change the source, sometime I get the error message "your tv does not support this program's content protection. replacing the tv's hdmi cable with component cables will allow you to view the program". My TV is a one year old Samsung LED (don't have the model number) but is HDCP compliant. I see no reason why I should be getting this error. Before I bought this receiver, I had HDMI running from the Dtv box straight to the TV and then optical audio to my 10 old Sony receiver since it had no HDMI connections and I could watch all the movie channels just fine. So the only thing that changed is the much more modern receiver

Now I am running HDMI from the Dtv box, Blu-Ray player and Chromecast into the receiver, and then HDMI out to the tv. By switching Dtv to component cables as the above message suggested, I can now view all the channels without the error. But the problem is, that in order to use the component OUT on the receiver, I have to use the component IN which there is only 1 set of. And now any of the other HDMI IN's will not go to the TV since you cannot have a digital in (HDMI) and analog out (component). I know I can just send an HDMI out to the TV as well for my other components, but now it is just getting messy. I would really like to use HDMI throughout for ease and appearance

To sum it up, now I CAN watch all my channels, and I CAN get the rest of my components to work with some added cables, but what I want to know is WHY is it not just working the way it should? What am I doing wrong that with all HDCP compliant components am I still getting this error? Or could my unit just be bad that it's not relaying the HDCP signal test correctly?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If the only problem is with directv then troubleshoot that input device. The best place
for that is dbstalk.com. Here is a recent similar hdcp playback problem from premium
channels. Even without passing video through an a/v receiver.
http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/217047-this-tv-doesnt-support-protection-use-component/?hl=%2Bdirectv+%2Bhdcp#entry3348300

Check out that thread and search for others that may apply or start your own.
It is not a widespread problem yet. The directv menu does have some video settings.
If none of that works then just bypass that video for now.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Be advised the Direct TV box is not HDMI certified...
This well known among experienced AV installers, thats why they are usually connected directly to the TV display rather than through an AVR..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Hi, I have a directv genie and run it (and bluray player) through my new 636 using all hdmi to a 2 year old sharp 70''. no handshaking issues with mine. the only premium i have is the movie channel. i have played directv 1080p cinema whatever they call it when you buy a 1080p movie. no issues with that either. sorry not directly helping but just saying I don't have this issue.
Best,
jeff

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
There is no widespread handshake problem with directv boxes. The thread I linked
shows this new hdcp problem pops up even with no stereo in the video path.

72% of the Direct TV boxes are connected directly to an HD display...
This is not a problem as the HDMI source is connected directly the display, the problem arises when connected to an HDMI component such as an AVR or Pre-Processor. Now the digital stream must be re-encoded with HDCP from the AVR or Pre-Processor and sent to the HD display.

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I don't dispute one bit that sending video through a receiver can/will degrade and/or complicate signal
and/or cause hdcp handshake issues. Frankly it is the number one issue in receivers lately. I am referring
to a brand new issue with only premium channels on directv. I have their latest boxes with no problem,
but I don't subscribe to any premium channels either. If directv needs to tweak their software, it won't be
the first time. They push new patches all the time. We will see how this plays out with the op.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
I don't dispute one bit that sending video through a receiver can/will degrade and/or complicate signal
and/or cause hdcp handshake issues. Frankly it is the number one issue in receivers lately. I am referring
to a brand new issue with only premium channels on directv. I have their latest boxes with no problem,
but I don't subscribe to any premium channels either. If directv needs to tweak their software, it won't be
the first time. They push new patches all the time. We will see how this plays out with the op.

Key point is that there is no guarantee the Direct TV box meets the HDMI/HDCP standards especially for the crucial HDCP/encryption timing....
The mentioned Onkyo AVR is in fact HDMI certified, so in my opinion it is short sighted to blame the Onkyo AVR for the handshake issue..
It passed the the HDMI/HDCP certification process, while the Direct TV box did not..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the issue only presents with the DTV box, use HDMI to the TV with optical from the DTV box --> AVR for that source only.
I guess I don't necessarily have to send Dtv through the AVR and could do it this way. I was only just trying to eliminate cables and clutter. Now I'll have 2 HDMI going to the TV, one from Dtv and one from AVR for the other components, but that isn't so bad.

Am I missing out on much potential by not sending the video through the AVR? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm not as savy as others here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts