AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an Onkyo HT-3100 for my small bedroom and so far im very pleased.

I have a couple questions about hooking up my xbox 360 elite.

Right now I have an HDMI going into my TV then an xbox audio adapter with red white cables going into the reciever now I just noticed the audio adapter has a Digital Optical output and my reciver has two inputs so my question is should I go out and purchase an Optical Cable? And would it give me better audio quality coming from my xbox360 elite?

Also in the future I might want to change the stock speakers and sub that came with this set and for doing this how would I hook up a powered sub? the back of the reciver (HT-R340) has a 'subwoofer' hookup but no pre amp is it the preamp that I need and if I dont have this am I out of luck? Or is there another way.

Thanks

Thomas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you could go out and buy an optical audio hookup for you xbox to your receiver, but in all honesty you wont be able to hear the difference between your red and white audio hookups vs the optical audio hookup. People may say there's a huge difference but in reality they're full of it. I would say the only plus about having an optical audio hookup is that you can say "I have optical audio sound" so you could impress your friends.

For your second question, you could buy any speakers or sub for your receiver. The sub that comes with the HTS3100 package has a positive and a negative hookup. If you went out and bought a really nice sub, then it will probably come with a jack that you plug in. If that is the case you can just use the purple sub-woofer port jack on the back of the receiver. I hope this answered your question.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpribyl2 /forum/post/15633557

Yes you could go out and buy an optical audio hookup for you xbox to your receiver, but in all honesty you wont be able to hear the difference between your red and white audio hookups vs the optical audio hookup. People may say there's a huge difference but in reality they're full of it. I would say the only plus about having an optical audio hookup is that you can say "I have optical audio sound" so you could impress your friends.

Not so. With red/white RCA audio input to a receiver, the only input is analog stereo (you can PLII that to 5.1). OTOH with a digital audio input (optical or coax), one can get actual multichannel DD/DTS. In fact, optical will also support DTS "core" from a Bluray player even although it lacks the bandwidth to handle the lossless formats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts