AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo HTIB with the Onkyo HT-r410 reciever. I've had it for about 10 months or so with no problems, but just recently it started behaving wierd. I moved into a new place and ever since I setup the receiver it will only stay on for limited amounts of time. The length of time varies quite a bit (I'd guess between 5 seconds and 5 minutes), but it just shutsdown periodically for some reason.

I've read through the owners manual and the troubleshooting guide mentions that if the receiver "shuts down immediately after it's turned on", then "amplifier protection circuitry has been triggered" and I should "contact my Onkyo service center" (ugh). Before I start down that probably long and painful road, I thought I would run this one by you guys and see if you thought that was the likely problem.

The problem description in the manual is close, but not exactly what I'm seeing. It definitely doesn't "shutdown immediately" sometimes it will play for several minutes before just shutting down. Could this be some wierd issue with the power in my new apt? I've noticed that several of the power outlets are pretty worn out. I'm starting to suspect that I'm just not getting good power, but none of my other components (DVD, XBox, Cable Box, TV) are showing any problems with that same outlet.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Try different outlets.

I'd start with the old place in your apartment (you KNOW that one worked). If it happenned there, I'd try a friends house (preferably not the same apartment complex). If it happenned there, I'd contact Onkyo before the warranty expired.

good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestion, but I figured it out. Looks like it was a short in on the speaker connections. I reconnected all the speakers and made sure everything was nice and cleanly done. So far I haven't had any trouble since then. The new cabinet is a little shallower than the previous one and I think the wires were just being kinked up against the back of the receiver or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.