AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, my surround channels don't always work. I've moved the speakers to different channels, and they still work so the speakers aren't the problem. I've tried different speaker wire without success, leaving me to believe the problem is in the receiver. I've poked around in the back of the receiver with a multimeter, and the RR channel appears to be dead, while impedance on the LR is lower than I'm guessing it should be (with the receiver on and in surround mode, the working center channel shows about 8 ohms, the LR channel shows 4 ohms and the RR shows nothing.

Is this a repairable problem? I've tried to find the service manual with no luck. I imagine taking it to a shop would not be cost effective, as I could probably find a comparable receiver on craigslist for about $100. Hell, I could buy an inexpensive new one for $160 (Sony STR-DH500 looks like a good value, and it switches HDMI).

What do you guys think? Is it worth putting any more energy into trying to fix this, or is it time to move on after only 7 years (I thought receivers lasted a bit longer)?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
What makes you think the surround channels are not working? Have you run the internal receiver test tones through all channels of the receiver?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18218389

What makes you think the surround channels are not working? Have you run the internal receiver test tones through all channels of the receiver?

Yup.

Every once in a while one of those channels will work, either LR or RR, but never both, and it never stays working. Power cycling the receiver usually kills it again.

I've also tried the factory reset (holding video 1 and pressing Power/Standby).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts