AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this Onkyo 7.1 receiver. I want to hook my PC up to my Plasma using HDMI. It's hooked up fine now. How can I get sound from my PC to my Onkyo? I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS in my PC and there is a SPDIF output. I'm guessing the best thing to do here is get a cable for the SPDIF output, and plug it into the Digital input on my Onkyo. I just cant figure out which cable to get. Any ideas? If I could somehow keep 7.1 sound that would be best.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but there is no optical ports on my sound card or my PC. I would really love to use Optical cables. I am thinking of just replacing the sound card if need be. But isn't there a SPDIF cable that can go into the digital input on my Onkyo? Above the three Optical Cable inputs on the Onkyo is some sort of other digital input. Im thinking that is for SPDIF but I want to be sure before hitting up monoprice.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody know?

Top of sound card has a yellow hole. It says SPDIF on it

Back of Onkyo has a digital input above the three optical ports that is not used.

Sad that Radio Shack guys had no idea. I used to love that place

·
Registered
237 Posts
You just need a cable that has a mono 1/8" mini jack on one end and a single RCA jack on the other end. Then you can plug it into your sound card's yellow output and the receiver's digital coaxial input. Radioshack carries them as well as monoprice.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You will need a cable that starts with a 3.5 mm jack on one end and an RCA on the other. Is this the card? If you don't find one, and don't want to make your own out of an RCA-RCA coax cable, you could use an RCA-to-3.5mm adapter.

EDIT: great! I went to the RadioShack website to find that cable while I was typing, but you already found it, Justmtnb.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will this cable support the full 5.1 sound? my system is actually 7.1 but 5.1 will be fine too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts