AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this unit (part of the HT-S6200 package) for a couple of years now and I'm relatively pleased with it. Recently, it just shut down on me. I didn't know if it was the receiver, the TV, or the cable box... so I've spent a week troubleshooting and I've figured out it's the receiver. When I connect the cable box directly to the TV via HDMI, it works fine. When I connect the cable box to the receiver and then out to the TV, I get nothing. Blue "No Signal" screen on the TV. Receiver lights up "PCM, HDMI, DSP". I've tried every connection possible and it's something with the HDMI in's and out on the receiver because it's only when I connect there that it doesn't work. It even works with the AV cables (red, white, yellow), but the picture isn't real great.

For now, I will connect the cable box to the TV, but football season is starting and I want to take full advantage of surround sound!

Can just the HDMI board go bad? If so, what do I do now? Go buy a new receiver? Would it be real expensive to fix?

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
9,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dteachmh /forum/post/20901463

For now, I will connect the cable box to the TV, but football season is starting and I want to take full advantage of surround sound!

Can just the HDMI board go bad? If so, what do I do now? Go buy a new receiver? Would it be real expensive to fix?

Thank you for any help!

Hi Dteachmh, try doing a factory reset. Otherwise for now to get surround sound is to connect an optical cable from cable box to receiver.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, tried the reset (holding the VCR button down and then power button). Nothing. I'll have to buy an optical cable for now until I can decide what to do with it.

Thanks JChin.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to check that receipt. I went to hhGregg to buy the optical cables and I got talking to the salesman about what was happening. He said the HDMI board is probably fried. He started showing me the NR-609. Any thoughts on this receiver? Worth swapping out my old R670 for this new one?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually JChin, I've been really looking at the Denon AVR-1611. It's a little cheaper than the Onkyo 609 and seems to have pretty much all the criteria I would want. To be honest, the heat issue with Onkyo have been well documented and this setup is in a hot room. I've always had a fan that blows over the receiver, but that didn't seem to help. Now I'm wondering if my 6 ohm speakers will work with the Denon.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dteachmh
Actually JChin, I've been really looking at the Denon AVR-1611.

Now I'm wondering if my 6 ohm speakers will work with the Denon.
Shouldn't have a problem as the Denon 1611 are designed to handle 6-16 ohm speakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.