AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PS3 and no speakers or Sub yet. I plpan on getting a SVS 12 " sub. Speakers I have no clue and would appreciate suggestions. Which receiver would be best. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3 Posts
from Batpig (Denon 790 Official thread):

"the Denon 790/1910 and Onkyo 607/RC160 are very competitive receivers, obviously. They compete directly in features and price.

Onkyo manages to stuff in a few more random features for the dollar, e.g. an extra HDMI input, HD radio. In the past the 60X level model managed to do this at a lower price point than the Denon 19XX/7XX model, but now Denon has addressed that in lowering the msrp of 790/1910.

IMO if you don't need the extra HDMI, the Denon is a better value because of a superior Audyssey implementation with MultEQ (instead of 2EQ). This is a critical difference as 2EQ (in addition to having lower rez satellite filters) does not EQ the subwoofer! And most acoustical problems are in the low freq range....

The Denon will also have superior video processing, with the ability to scale HDMI>HDMI up to 1080p. If you read any CNet reviews of Onkyo 60X models (e.g. 606, 607) you can see that the analog>digital conversion is pretty mediocre.

Quote:

the Onk gives up 10 w/ch

don't even worry about this, consider them to be essentially identical in terms of power. make your decision on price vs features."

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
30,154 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Resurrecting this one again... I'm making a similar decision between the HT-RC160 and the AVR-790/1910.

Comparing MSRPs doesn't seem particularly meaningful since the Onkyos seem to sell for far less than MSRP. The HT-RC160 is widely available from authorized e-tailers for $380-400. The Denons, on the other hand, seem to sell for exactly the above-listed MSRPs at all the authorized e-tailers.

The only place I can find online selling a new Denon for significantly below MSRP is powersellernyc.com, which has the AVR-790 for $400. But they don't appear to be on Denon's authorized list . Will the warranty be void?

Anyone have experience with refurbished Denon from dakmart.com? They are Denon-authorized and have a refurb'ed 1910 for about $430 and a refurb'ed 1909 for only $350 (shipped), which seems like a particularly good deal assuming I don't need HDMI upscaling (see below).

Meanwhile a few questions:

1) I've read that Denon is generally harder to setup (although batpig's website is hugely helpful). But once they're set up, is there any difference in ease-of-use? We're only running a 5.1 (not 7.1) speaker setup and will want the receiver to do minimal processing (no DSP modes or Neo6 or extra matrixing--just stereo for audio sources, Dolby PL II for 2-channel video, and the raw Dolby/DTS modes for multichannel video). Ideally I'd like to set up the receiver with those defaults and stick it (and its remote) in a closet and only program a few receiver-related buttons onto a universal remote (probably just power, input selection, volume, mute, tuner preset up/down, and maybe the Audyssey Dynamic Volume button). Is either the Onkyo or the Denon likely to require much further intervention once everything is set?

2) How important are the differences in upscaling? I can envision two possible scenarios where it might be important, but I'm not 100% clear one how the differences would affect us.

(a) We may be hooking up an analog-only Wii or an old VCR. This is the main reason I'm not considering the TX-SR507 or the AVR-590/1610, since it sounds like neither of those will allow us to feed video from analog sources through HDMI to our TV. Is this assumption correct? If so, does the 1080i (Onkyo) vs. 1080p (Denon) distinction really matter?

(b) I am concerned about the receiver and/or TV pausing for a second when resolutions change between TV channels on our cable box. I'm assuming most cable boxes (we're getting a new one) won't necessarily be able to always output the same resolution, and even if they do, they may not do a good job of upscaling SD source material. If we set the receiver to always upscale the cable box to a specific resolution (probably 1080i or 1080p, since we'll be using a 1080p TV), will it speed up channel changing at all? Is this a good reason to choose the Onkyo or the 790/1910 over the 789/1909?

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/17092609

if you are going to barge in and try to resurrect a dead thread, you should make an effort to be correct when you do it!!

Onkyo TX-SR607 - msrp $599

Onkyo HT-RC160 - msrp $549
http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver

Denon AVR 1910 - msrp $549

Denon AVR 790 - msrp $499
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/AVReceivers.asp

thanks for playing though
try again next time...

Wow

He barged in with good street price information not misleading MSRP prices. It is fact you can routinely find the Onkyo HT-RC160 in the $370-380 range shipped.

He was correct.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
you can also regularly get 790/1910 for $400 shipped, he is still wrong. if you follow the Denon threads there are consistent coupon codes from authorized dealers like 6ave.com, J&R, electronics-expo, etc.

if you base it off $380 than his claim of "$150-200 more" is still false even if you are just looking at msrp. I stand by my statements, it's not my problem others are misinformed as to Denon "street" pricing.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
@ themicah -

(1) I think both are probably equivalent in terms of ease-of-use once set up. both are modern receivers with a gazillion options to tweak so, if you are uncomfortable with modern AVR terminology/function, either one could seem "complicated"

(2) not a very big deal unless you have a lot of analog SD sources. the Denon does have an advantage in that it can do HDMI>HDMI scaling so if you have a digital 480 source (e.g. an older HDMI SD-DVD player that isn't a good upscaler) you could consider it a benefit that you wouldn't have to buy a nicer upscaling DVD player

(a) incorrect, one of the major benefits of 1610/590 vs the Onkyo 507 is that the Denon does to analog>digital video conversion. what it doesn't do is SCALE anything. But it will convert analog inputs to a single HDMI output to you display.

(b) slow channel changes are sort of a sad byproduct of this new HDMI world. The slowest channel changes will always be those which involve a resolution change (as the TV has to resync) so you may gain some marginal benefit depending on the configuration, but I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor in your decision at all.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/17103362

(a) incorrect, one of the major benefits of 1610/590 vs the Onkyo 507 is that the Denon does to analog>digital video conversion. what it doesn't do is SCALE anything. But it will convert analog inputs to a single HDMI output to you display.

Thanks for the quick and informative response. We don't have any older HD components to worry about (I'm mainly concerned about the possibilities of a 480p Wii or a 480i VCR), and since we're only going with 5.1 speakers anyway, the 590/1610 has suddenly become a very viable option. The hint about those Denon coupon codes is also HUGELY helpful, however, and puts the 790/1910 squarely in my price range as well. Luckily I don't have to decide for another couple of months, but thanks a ton, batpig!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've been leaning towards the 1910 for sometime but recently been reading about the 607/160. Just saw the HT-RC160 for a very low price at a warehouse club. I mean we're talking about $150 less than the lowest price I've seen for a Denon 1910.

If they sound about the same, I can't see why I'd go with the Denon. I plan to use all my video sources (all 1080p passthrough) unmolested so SQ is all that counts. Anyone care to talk me out of this decision based upon the value proposition here?

Thanks in advance and YES I resurrected a really old thread.

Jay W

·
Registered
73 Posts
It may be an old thread but I'm still on the fence as well.

The 160 has been getting insanely cheap, but still not that much cheaper than the 1610. The one thing that has me still thinking Denon (1610 or maybe 1910) is that I keep reading the Onkyos run really hot, and I want to put it in a cabinet.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm also on the fence between the ht-rc160 and 790... I've got a set of deftech pro 800's for fronts, pro 1000 center followed by 2 bose 161 in the rear. then a Poll 12" sub.

I like the price of the onkyo much better, plus I think they produce a "Fuller sound" IMHO.

but I had an older model 705 but it would have popping and HDMI hiccups. do these issues still plague Onkyo units?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts