AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got the upgrade bug and decided to replace the front soundstage of the Onkyo 7200 HTiB setup I've been running for the past year and a half.

I have purchased and installed a pair of Polk Monitor 70's for my L/R and the matching Polk CS2 Center channel. I also have a BiC PL-200 being delivered in the next couple of days. I moved my old Onkyo front towers to my surrounds as they are sufficient for the time being.

First off, I am thrilled with my upgrade so far as I can hear a drastic improvement over my old setup and I know I will be even happier when I setup my new BiC PL-200 on Wednesday.

Now, I rant he Audessey calibration on my Onkyo HT-RC160 and am a bit confused on the default crossover frequencies. My AVR has set the M70's to Full Range, the CS2 to 50 Hz, Surrounds to 60 Hz, rear surronds to 150 Hz and Sub Crossover to 100 Hz.

My confusion lies in that I have read reccommendations on setting all speakers crossover at 80 Hz, setting the fronts to 60 Hz and everything else at 80 Hz, or I have even heard some reccomendations on leaving the M70's at Full Range and turning on the Double Bass feature on my AVR.

Since it is difficult to find a conclusive correct setting, I was wondering if I could get some advice from users of greater expertise than I have on what the crossover settings should be set at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realize this topic has probably been beaten to death, hence the lack of responses I got.

I have received and hooked up my BiC PL-200 and also added the matching Polk Monitor 40 surrounds to my mains. I moved my old Onkyo towers to rear surrounds.

After a bunch of experimentation, I settled on setting my Monitor 70s to 60 Hz and my CS2, M40s, and Onkyo towers to 80 Hz. I set my PL-200 crossover to 100 Hz. I found these settings to sound best to my ears after hours of testing.

Just thought I would post this update in case others have a similar setup and the same question.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
thank you for the update....your settings sound very reasonable for the Monitor 70's and the CS2 center. I'm not familiar with the PL-200 sub, but it's spec's say it can go to 200Hz, so the 100Hz should work fine.

I am curious if your receiver is actually sending audio down to 60Hz to the fronts, but audio from 100Hz down to the sub....interesting if the settings allow the overlap ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my receiver does actually send 60Hz signal to my M70s. When I had the M70s set to Full Range, a lot of bass was getting sent to them and this was not really necessary when you have a capable sub. I had double bass turned on, but found that having my sub deliver lower frequencies on its own offered much cleaner, less muddled bass. I noticed that the mids and highs being sent to the M70s was noticibly cleaner and crisper when setting the M70s to 60Hz or 80Hz. I think setting to 60Hz or 80Hz for the M70s is just a matter of personal preference as I find both of these crossovers deliver good sound.

I believe others on this forum have found some overlap in crossovers to be beneficial, but this probably varies on a room to room basis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts