AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been having some issues and wondering if anyone can help me out.

I just recently upgraded my hometheatre from an theatre in a box setup and after much research I bought my first setup, a HT-RC180 with polkaudio TSI 500s, 200s, CS20 and their 505 sub. I huge selling point for me was that I could hook all my video into the receiver along with my audio, and upconvert my satellite feed to 1080p if I wanted. I get it home and spend the next two days hooking everything up just so, until I notice....

Problem1 : I do what the salesman said, and hooked up all my HDMI equipment, and use a DVI-HDMI adpator with optical cable for my satellite receiver as it doesn't have an HDMI port (must be one of the few providers who don't). Right off the bat, the receiver isn't accepting the feed from the satellite receiver, although its there, but the screen just goes black (audio is fine however, through optical audio cable). Onkyo customer service is absolutely useless and simply tells me its 50/50 chance the receiver will work, and could not comment on which other of their receivers accept it, if updating it would help, or if a complete DVI-HDMI cable would work an better over an inline adapter. It seem hours of playing with settings yeilded no better results. You'd think all that money spent on their product that they'd at least make an effort to help. I've done searches and it seems other people are having the same issue with receivers, however its going from PCs to through the receiver to the TV. Does anyone have any helpful tips here?

Problem 2: Because of Problem 1, I've put all the HDMI cables direct to the TV, with an optical audio providing audio to the receiver, and taking one of the assignable optical audio imputs. The satillite receiver, since its DVI/optical only, I've used the adapter to put HDMI directly to the TV which works perfectly, and sent the optical audio output to the AV receiver, taking the assignable optical audio imput #2. the HT-RC180s universal remote works great for my setup, and I could get by however another problem arose. Turning on the 'TV control' to link the receiver with the TV started out great, and all was going as it should until I started chaging the HDMI imputs on the TV. Although having everything assigned as it should, when the other HDMI imputs are selected (whether the PS3, satellite, etc,) the receiver ALWAYS switches itself to the TV/TAPE output. When switching to the HDMI port which has the receiver on it, it simply automatically switches the the output which that HDMI port was last using, whether it was DVD/BD, or CBL/SAT, etc. No matter what I try, I can't seem to find out how to set it, and although the optical cable coming from the TV (which the bluray player and the like uses) uses the DVD/BD output, when I switch to any of the other TVs HDMI ports, the receiver always defaults to the TV/TAPE output. Does anyone know how to setup the 'TV control' so the receiver stops defaulting back to the wrong output, or changes to the wrong one? I've searched for similar problems but I couldn't find any. I can imagine by the last call, if I contacted Onkyo regarding this they would probly do the same as before.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm getting to the point that I may bring the receiver back and try a different manufacturer.

Thanks,

Phil

I'm not sure if its of any use, but this is my setup

Sony 52Z5100

Onkyo HTRC180

PolkAudio TSI 5.1 setup

PS3/Xbox

Satillite receiver (Starchoice/Shaw)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have the Onkyo 180 but am experiencing none of your problems. I do know that in the AVRs setup menu you can assign the digital inputs (whether optical or coaxial) to specific HDMI inputs, for precisely these sorts of problems. You'll need to scour the manual for the exact procedure.

As for the DVI/optical to HDMI converter, I am not familiar with it. I do know that not every DVI output and converter are suitable for each other, as there are different numbers of pins and assignments. Perhaps you could try a different type of DVI adapter and see if you can get your video back.

If push does come to shove, however, I would try to get a different satellite box, one with a HDMI output. The Onkyo 180 is a very capable and totally up to date AVR and I, personally, would rather keep it than an obsolete satellite box.

I see also that you are a Shaw subscriber. Here is the link to a forum dealing exclusively with Shaw's satellite problems and fixes. Hopefully you can find exactly the help you need here
:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I've called Shaw yesterday about the DVI thing. I dont want to switch to Bell because of the cost of replacing everything. Shaw did tell me they are launching their new receivers later this year....and it will have HDMI instead of DVI. I'll probly hang on until they come out the hook everything up through the RC180, but the output switch caused by the change in the HDMI ports gotta be fixed...I've read the manual a couple times and didn't come by the issue, I'll keep looking though. I've assigned the optical inputs to the respective sources (TV with everything else, and the satellite receiver) but it still seems to happen. Even if I switch the HDMI cables arround it's the same thing. For some reason any feed from the TV causes the receiver to switch to TV/TAPE setting. To me it seems like a small setting that I overlooked. I'm going to have to keep looking, hopefully it comes up.

Thanks again

·
Registered
452 Posts
Try posting your problems on this forum thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170804

It is the Official Onkyo 807 thread. The 180 is included with this thread, even though it isn't explicitly stated in its title. Someone should be able to help, because the 807 and 180 are almost identical and even share the same manual.

There is also a firmware update available via the 180's internet connection, which might help out.

PS What are you doing up so late?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I posted over on the thread to see what comes up. I'll give Onkyo another call and see what they tell me.

Yes, kinda late I geuss.. been a long couple of nights fighting with this thing. I dont have any information put on my account yet, but seems I'm pretty much a 7 hour drive directly north of you, guess I could say you were up kinda late to eh!

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
daytona ss 396

I've been having some issues and wondering if anyone can help me out.

Suggestions:

Problem1: since Shaw is unable to supply a HDMI STB, use component video connections (red, blue, green) and optical audio connection to RC180. As there is really no quality tradeoff as cable TV is standard 720p/1080i video resolution and DD 5.1 audio. This option would allow one HDMI cable to Tv while waiting for Shaw's new receiver box and solve problem #2.

Problem2: check HDMI-CEC feature in Sony Tv. Go into Tv menu and see if HDMI-CEC is set to "ON", if so turn this feature to "OFF". (Sony calls HDMI-CEC as "Bravia Sync")

But you shouldn't have this problem if going with component and optical connection to RC180.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona ss 396 /forum/post/18300470

Thanks, I posted over on the thread to see what comes up. I'll give Onkyo another call and see what they tell me.

Yes, kinda late I geuss.. been a long couple of nights fighting with this thing. I dont have any information put on my account yet, but seems I'm pretty much a 7 hour drive directly north of you, guess I could say you were up kinda late to eh!

Fort Mac or Grande Prairie?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts