AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a DVD player, an Xbox and my cable box connected to my Onkyo HT-RC230 receiver (It was a Walmart-only product; supposed to be same as or similar to TX-SR308?) via HDMI. I like being able to control everything through the AV receiver. The receiver outputs via HDMI to my TV which is a Vizio 42" LCD. Everything was working fine until the HDMI ports on the receiver started malfunctioning a few months ago. Onkyo got the HDMI board replaced and sent the unit back to me.

After I got it back and I set the system back up I noticed there was one thing slightly different: all the SD cable TV channels were being shown on the TV as stretched across the screen with the aspect ratio very wrong. I prefer to have the SD channels displayed with the correct aspect ratio and the little black bars at the side of the picture. The TV also says 1080 on the corner when these channels are on, so does it seem like the AV receiver is automatically upscaling the image? If so, any idea how I can avoid this happening - I can't find any settings within the Onkyo on screen settings menu, and I don't remember explicitly having to set this when I initially set the system up at the start of the year.

When I connect the cable box directly to one of the TV's HDMI in ports, the picture is how I like it with the correct AR, so that's why I think the cable box is outputting correctly and the AV receiver is for some reason upscaling that image.

Any help/hints/tips much appreciated

Edit: Sorry, first post, so apologies if this is the wrong section. If so, mods: feel free to put it where it should be

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some additional details.

(I've been reading the AVR FAQ stickied at the top of the forum. Thanks to all who contributed to that - very helpful)

The TV is a Vizio M420NV. It has HDMI v1.3. The cable box is an Xfinity RNG110. I just hooked the cable box up directly to the TV via HDMI and the SD channels are correctly displayed with a little 480 in the top corner. When I use go via the AV Receiver the same channel shows a little 1080. So I think the problem must be with the receiver.

It seems either the AVR is detecting an incorrect resolution from the cable box, or it's detecting the correct resolution and outputting it at 1080 anyway? I can't see anywhere in the AVR settings that deal with this. I wonder if the electrical engineer who replaced the HDMI board maybe did so incorrectly or something.

Could this have anything to do with the cables, or an incompatibility with versions of HDMI? The receiver has HDMI 1.4 (I think) but the cables are all 1.3 ones and the TV's 1.3 (again, I think).

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Hi mgtsol, this unit has no video processing/scaling. Its either the unit has the wrong board installed and/or wrong software installed. Sent the unit back in for repair.

Edit: Try doing a factory reset if you have not done so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it worked out, finally. It turns out there's a menu on the cable box that I didn't realise was there. It's the "User settings" menu accessed by pressing menu when the cable box is powered down, and through it you can change a few things. Within this menu I could change some of the relevant settings including what the TV's capable of displaying. It had said only 1080i but I amended it to say it could display all the formats from 480 up to 720. That seemed to do the trick. Now the picture is how it was before. Thanks for replying JChin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.