AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my previous receiver was a $200 Sony 5.1 purchased like 8 years ago and had about 100 w/ch. This receiver was loud as hell and really blew my ears off. The speakers being used are huge Yamaha fronts and smaller versions for the rears with an infinity center.

In comes the Onkyo. Love the unit and all the features. Except, the volume. Don't get me wrong, it is loud, just not AS loud as the older Sony. Sound quality of the Onkyo is noticeably better than the Sony.

Ive spent countless hours with all the audio settings and the only thing I can think of is the ohms. The Onkyo has a 4-6 ohm setting and the front and rear yamaha's are 8 ohm speakers.

Can this be the reason the Onkyo doesn't get as loud as the old Sony? Also, the volume display only goes up to "80" even though the volume limiter is set to unlimited, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Well, lots of things play into this...

The amplifier gain on Onkyo is probably graded differently(as in based on true doubling of volume, instead of linear on the Sony...but that is a guess cause we don't know which Sony)

Lots of people will complain about the volume on a newer AVR when most of them have switched to logarithmic.

Basically a linear volume control is easy to send your amplifier into clipping. Where logarithmic is designed to slowly increase the volume based on doubling. Essentially, your Sony gassed the amps at the beginning of the knob. AVR aren't set up that way anymore.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
In other words.. your new onkyo is weak in the amp department compared to older receivers. You could have bought a more expensive model that should play louder. Set the speaker ohm to 6. If the receiver shuts down set it to 4 ohm. It won't play as loud. If you are driving 5 speakers it isn't doing near 100 watts per channel. I recently connected 3 4ohm bookshelf and 2 8ohm bookshelf speakers to an onkyo 1007. It wouldn't play above -16 volume in 6 ohm mode and didn't play very loud in 4 ohm mode, but it did play.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.