AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased an Onkyo HT-RC560 receiver along with some Energy RC-70s floorstanders. I began the process of breaking the speakers in by playing music through the receiver using my CD player. After a few hours, when I turned the Onkyo off, I heard distinct pop from the speakers.

I did some testing, and the strange thing is that if I play music for 5 minutes, then turn it off, there's no pop when the receiver is turned off. If it plays music for 30 minutes, there's a small pop when I turn it off, and if I leave it on longer (a few hours), there's a louder pop.

Through suggestions from fellow AVS members in the Energy speakers form thread, I tried plugging the receiver into a different outlet, and still got the same result. I also tried hooking up a spare set of Energy RC-Micro speakers, and still got the popping when turning the Onkyo off. So at this point, I can pretty much narrow it down to a receiver problem.

In doing a search, I see that at least one AVS member had the same issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486480/onkyo-ht-rc560-anyone-score-one-recently-and-what-do-you-think-of-it#post_23647505

Could some fellow AVS member please share their experiences with this receiver (or the TX-NR626)? Does anyone else have this problem? Or is this normal for an Onkyo? Could this popping potentially cause damage to my speakers (especially now that it's in the Energy recommended transducer break-in period)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the TX-NR626 paired with RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-10s and am not experiencing any popping. Maybe some of the other peripherals that you have connected to your receiver have a grounding problem. Have you tried isolation of various things you have plugged into the receiver for the process of elimination? Have you tried just the receiver and the speakers only? How do you have them wired? Tried plugging just the receiver and speakers into another circuit? Sounds like a static discharge. My assumption would be grounding problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
g725s: Thanks for the response. I only had a CD player hooked up to the receiver. The speakers are new (as well as the receiver) and I was performing the initial speaker break in. I switched speakers (to RC-Micros) and speaker wires to do some testing, but the same pop happened when I turned the receiver off. Unfortunately, I decided to return the Onkyo and purchased a Yamaha. I miss all the features of the Onkyo, but I'm now pop-free!
So I'm thinking I must have had a bad unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g725s  /t/1523283/onkyo-ht-rx560-tx-nr626-popping-when-turning-off#post_24514469

I have the TX-NR626 paired with RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-10s and am not experiencing any popping. Maybe some of the other peripherals that you have connected to your receiver have a grounding problem. Have you tried isolation of various things you have plugged into the receiver for the process of elimination? Have you tried just the receiver and the speakers only? How do you have them wired? Tried plugging just the receiver and speakers into another circuit? Sounds like a static discharge. My assumption would be grounding problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts