AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a choice between these two HTiB systems, Onkyo HT-s3100 or HT-SR700. Seems like they are very similar in price and specs other than the HT-SR700 has a powered sub and the 3100 does not. Am I missing something reading the descriptions of the two systems? Thanks, this is a great board. Lots of nice helpful people too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey there,

I have the Onkyo HT-3100 and I have used it everyday since iv gotten it which was about two weeks ago. The sound is alot more than I expected. The sub sounds good even tho its not powered but it still shakes my walls and once all the speakers are all set up right it sounds even better just make shure you possition the sub in the correct spot and you still get excellent sound out of it. The nice thing about the 3100 is that its a stand alone reciever so in the future if you wish you can upgrade speakers and its got plenty of inputs ! I would recommend it to you if your looking for a easy on the walet HTIB !

Just post up here if you have any other questions !

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's great. Like already stated, the main difference is that the sub is powered. Was simple to set up and the sound is great. I have my cable box, DVD & Wii going thru it. I picked up a refurb from Accessories4less for $169.99 plus about $30 shipping. The newer but similar 4100 adds an IPOD dock. Very happy here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one friend who is an audio nut who swears by powered subs. His system is ridiculous at his house and he is actually on the forums some where, idk were lol. But, I am having the same issue. I may go with the 700, but i just dk yet (same boat as you). I think i do prefer the idea of the 700, and I did get sent a broken 3100, so I may just feel like a i need a change.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I noticed the 700 gives you a 10" powered sub compared to the 8" passive sub in the 3100. Also, the back of the 700 receiver seems to have a sub pre-out plug while the 3100 doesn't. I assume that means you can control the subwoofer crossover in the 700 settings while the 3100 doesn't have that option, is that true? If so, it seems the 700 is the better option if you want to upgrade the speakers and/or sub later and want to control the crossover. Please advise anyone who has experience with these...trying to find something for a friend.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
Powered sub is definitely the way to go. Look at the subs by Velodyne, SVS, Hsu or any of other popular sub makers. They're all powered subs with more robust amps than any of these low end receivers.

Doesn't matter which Onkyo system you pick, but get one with a subwoofer pre out.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Thanks afrogt. That's the only physical difference I can see on the two receivers. It seems the 700 might be a better value if someone wanted the option to upgrade the sub later (and wants a bigger powered sub now). Of course, it doesn't matter if you just want to keep the system the way it is and enjoy. Got that Seth?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought the 700
and I can't wait. Also bought an optical cable, a cable for the sub, and also a USB adapter to turn my laptop into a 5.1 surround sound system.

I am pretty frigging excited.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Good stuff man! 200 bucks for everything you need right now is pretty darn good - I think you made a good choice going for last years model (really, not much has changed on these units between 2007/8 to 2008/9) over a lower model from this year. I saw this thread today and thought it could be you one day if you went for the other one. Though, this guy is stuck with proprietary Sony plugs so he’s in a tougher spot. Make sure to let everyone know how it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
And if you need inexpensive, cheap (price not quality) speaker stands that look good try the OmniMount ELO series. I bought a pair for my 700 and they work great. Paid $33 from Amazon. Easy to put together and very functional. In fact. if you look at the picture in the description you'd swear a pair of Onkyo speakers from the 700 were sitting on them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got it guys. It is AMAZING. Regardless of how it was refurbished. I paid around 200 for it shipped and I set it up yesterday. I watched Prince Caspian in Surround, with not very good other components (PS2 & Tube TV), but being that the ps2 is still DTS and Dolby Digital it sounds phenominal. I have some more configuration to do with it.. but I am sure after that I should be a bit happier.

If you aren't looking to spend a whole bunch of money on an HTiB, this is your set. Setup was quick and easy. Sound is great (certaintly for what I paid), and there are no complaints over here.

P.S. buy a chord for the subwoofer. It comes with one little crappy one, but that is of no real use. A nice strong cable made the difference,but the sub isn't very very strong, but it certaintly does the job.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My dad just bought this system (HT-S3100) and I helped him hook it up but didn't have a chance to fiddle with it since I had to leave his house to come back to Chicago. He called me and said that the sound isn't very good and wondered if I knew how to improve it. He was very unimpressed with the sound coming from his 52a650 and I expected him to be blown away by this since anything is better than his tv's speakers so I'm wondering if he has some settings miscalculated and if anyone on here could tell me what settings I can relay onto him to improve his sound I would greatly appreciate it. This was a birthday gift from my mom so I don't want him to be dissatisfied.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Get him to set up the reciever the right way with the speaker possition correct and distances set into the receiver also set the crossover just go threw every page in the manual and you will get the sound you are looking for. Also make shure your using a Digital type of cable as it makes all the difference in how the surround formats sound.

Here's My settings:

On the Remote press Setup.

1. Sp Config press Enter

Set all speakers to the Small setting and Yes to Subwoofer.

Crossover at 100Hz.

2. Sp Distance.

Varies room to room set it acording to your set up.

3. Level Cal.

Again Varies turn up the lvl of each speaker until you hear the test tone / Read the manual for speaker placement and level Cal.

4. Audio Adjustment.

Again Custom setting varies room to room so set it up acording to what the manual says.

Start at about pg 51 in the manual for more info very simple and you will get way better sound out of the system.

Good Luck !

PM me if you have any other problems !

Thanks

Thomas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts