AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this system for a month now and can't seem to get the bass to fully kick in. I have the receiver turned up to 50 and it still has mild bass (no thumping).

I tried going through the myriad of menus with no luck as it is all Greek to me.

I have already tried to bump the bass +10 with very little difference. I can't even hear the sub inless I practically put my ear on it and feel it vibrate ever so lightly.

I checked the wires at the sub and receiver and they are securely connected to bare wire.

The other 5 speakers work and sound great, just no deep bass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-=Mark=-

ps. sorry if this has been covered in other posts, but search gave too many posts and none on the first page were useful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I went through the manual a page at a time today and got it to work a little bit better, but bass is still severely lacking. It now sounds a 100% better after resetting the machine ([VCR/DVR] + [Stand By]).

also, I've been so worried about my sub and surround working properly I didn't notice my front speakers both do not work at all! I checked and double checked the wires and they are hooked up properly. I went through the sound test and get nothing out of either of them. I hope there is a setting I missed and it's not broken cause I think my time is up for a return and I'll have to RMA

@scatillac - It does sound good other than the lack of bass that I hope I can fix. I liked my Samsung unit better as it had much better bass, but lacked in features. The Onkyo has much clearer sound though and many more features. although I wish I had saved up for one of the 7.1 Onkyo units.

@samsurd2 - I went through page 52 (Advanced Setup) and set the front speakers to small as they were the only ones set to large. The sub doesn't have this setting, but I tried all the frequencies and I think it is on 125Hz or maybe 250Hz as it sounded best. I also turned on Audyssey or whatever

and that helped on commercials/music/special effect from getting real loud.

I also seen that with Double Bass on that is takes my front left/right speakers and send its power to the sub, but when I disabled it I still don't get front left/right sound, not even in Level Cal (Speaker Level Calibration.) Most the other special features I'm not familiar with and haven't set them.

I hope someone can help me out

-=Mark=-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it is a passive sub and wasn't expecting a ton of bass or anything, but I basically wasn't getting anything at all.

anyway, I got it figured out. I was reading a stickied thread on PCM/LPCM and it was saying something about .1 not working well with PCM and suggesting boosting the sub +10db and now everything is working great.

Here's the link:

oops, not allowed to post urls just yet.

anyway, it's stickied in this section and titled:
List of HTIB's and/or AVR's with HDMI audio processing (5.1/7.1 PCM) Help List Grow!!

Thanks for the help

-=Mark=-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts