AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just purchased this Onkyo system and I hope someone can help me out! The TV screen turns completely blank every 30min (or sometimes even 5 minutes or so) and the blank screen lasts about 1 second. The sound comes thru normally without any tick sound or anything like that. I called Onkyo today and the person tried telling me to put all the inputs on 720p to which I said NO I didn't buy a 1080p TV and a 1080p Receiver to be forced to watch 720p. He also acted like he knows about the issue but didn't want to suggest that I should return it. There are no firmware upgrades on the site either. He also suggested to swap the inputs which I highly doubt will make a difference. He also suggested that I RESET the box which again wont do anything because I never set anything on the box to begin with just plugged everything and turned on.

Here is my setup:

1) TV: 65Inch Sharp Aquos LC-65E77UM (only connected to the Onkyo)

2) Onkyo HT-S3400 in the middle 3 HDMI ins and 1 HDMI out to the TV

3) WDTV HD Live Plus at 1080p/60hz (blank screen every 5 min)

4) Sharp Aquos Bluray player from 2007 updated firmware (blank screen every 30 min)

5) Motorolla Cable Box from cable company (720p, no issues)

Connecting the units to the TV directly doesnt show the blank screen so the inputs and the TV are 100% functional.

Any advise would help! I still have a few days to return the unit to Frys for possible 15% restocking fee
I tagged ht-s3300 as well as it may have the same issue most probably.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynite /forum/post/0

Hello everyone!

I just purchased this Onkyo system and I hope someone can help me out! The TV screen turns completely blank every 30min (or sometimes even 5 minutes or so) and the blank screen lasts about 1 second. The sound comes thru normally without any tick sound or anything like that. I called Onkyo today and the person tried telling me to put all the inputs on 720p to which I said NO I didn't buy a 1080p TV and a 1080p Receiver to be forced to watch 720p. He also acted like he knows about the issue but didn't want to suggest that I should return it. There are no firmware upgrades on the site either. He also suggested to swap the inputs which I highly doubt will make a difference. He also suggested that I RESET the box which again wont do anything because I never set anything on the box to begin with just plugged everything and turned on.

Here is my setup:

1) TV: 65Inch Sharp Aquos LC-65E77UM (only connected to the Onkyo)

2) Onkyo HT-S3400 in the middle 3 HDMI ins and 1 HDMI out to the TV

3) WDTV HD Live Plus at 1080p/60hz (blank screen every 5 min)

4) Sharp Aquos Bluray player from 2007 updated firmware (blank screen every 30 min)

5) Motorolla Cable Box from cable company (720p, no issues)

Connecting the units to the TV directly doesnt show the blank screen so the inputs and the TV are 100% functional.

Any advise would help! I still have a few days to return the unit to Frys for possible 15% restocking fee
I tagged ht-s3300 as well as it may have the same issue most probably.

Have you tried different hdmi out ports?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichee marone
Have you tried different hdmi out ports?
I have tried with different ports and it happens with 1080p inputs like Bluray and WDTV on 1080p.

I just tested it on Bluray and it happens at the following minutes: 5, 11: 16, 23, 33, 38 and we just shut off the movie we declared it unwatchable.

I saw this page where people had similar problems with the 3300 model. I was hoping I get some response from this forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
seems to be a pretty common problem for onkyos made in the past few years. the general consensus that i've seen is that the hdmi board is overheating and causing the outages.

i purchased an ht-s5400 back in march and had a similar problem. upon investigating, the rear of the receiver (near the hdmi) was indeed very hot. infrared thermometer readings were around 120* F. to alleviate this, i installed a couple of cooling fans in the rear of my entertainment center to pull cool air over the afflicted components. the result dropped my temperatures down to around 95* F and ended the blankouts.

there's a huge thread over in "Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself" about adding a cooling fan to a/v cabinet. hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

i had the exact same problem on the Onkyo S3400.swapped cables,nogo,called Onkyo support, they had no idea abt the issue,after reading one of the posts where in for s5400 that person had installed cooling fans, i thought that could be the problem. I had placed my receiver in a av cabinet and there just about 1/2 inch space on all sides,so the unit was getting hot.

Fix,just removed the AV RECEIVER and placed it on top, and with enough and more ventilation, the Onkyo S3400 is working flawlessly.

Thank you for cooling fan idea.

So give the receiver lots of space and free air flow, and the issue gets taken care of.

Rodney

1 - 5 of 5 Posts