AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me begin by saying that I'm incredibly new, which will be abundantly clear in a second...

I bought an Onkyo HT-S5100 to run my various devices (TV: Samsung LN52A650; Tivo HD; PS3)... I hooked everything up via the HDMI cables and did the speaker wire connections, etc., etc., etc...

No audio... So I search around online and find some potentially troubling info that the 5100 does not handle/process the audio coming through the various HDMI cables, and requires that I use an alternative method for the audio?

Is this true? What does it mean that I won't have the audio running thru the HDMI? What features/abilities does my home theater set-up lose as a result of this?

I'm already three beers in and it's 10:24, I'm so depressed about this!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's true bro. You won't be able to achieve "true HD" with the 5100. You'll have to connect your BD, PS3 via Toslink optical cable. With Toslink you won't get "true" HD sound. The 6100 runs everything via HDMI where TRue HD sound is attainable. If HD sound is not a big deal then use the Toslink connection. If it is a big deal then return the 5100 and get a 6100. Good luck.

Almost time for some HD 24!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So my Brother’s 5100 cane last night from Amazon. Was over at hes house to help him hook it up. NO AUDIO!!!! Crap. As I had found out in this thread, no audio through HDMI. So we did the Optical from he’s XBOX360, man no audio still. Don’t really understand it. I think he’s Optical connection on hes 360 may be busted. So tonight Im taking my PS3 and trying with it. Hopefully we get good results tonight!!!

Dumb machine! We kept switching the OPT1, OPT2, COX1, COX2, connection/pressing set up button. But nothing! Like I said, that back of hes 360 OPT port doesn’t clamp the OPT wire good. So tonight I’ll find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probe C2

I think I do agree with you. I first too made a big deal about recommending the 5100, after finding out about its audio limitations. But with the 6100 speakers and my brother no spending any more cash on he’s home audio. It would not make that much of a difference. Thanks for setting me straight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.