AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble setting up the optical audio on my Onkyo HT-S5100. I have the following setup

TV: Samsung Plasma 650

Receiver: Onkyo HT-S5100

Blue Ray: Sony BDP-S301

Satellite: Dish

I have the Blue Ray and Satellite running HDMI to the TV and Optical audio from the TV to the receiver. The receiver is set to DVD with the digital input set to OPT1 (the cable is plugged into OPT1 port). I cannot get any sound. I have cycled through all input settings (OPT1, Opt2, COAX1, etc..) and still no luck.

I attempted to run the cable from the Blue Ray to the receiver and still no sound. I then ran coax from the Blue Ray to the receiver and set the DVD digital input to COAX1, this worked great. The TV does not have a coax port so this is not an option.

I called support and they said I have a bad receiver and to take it back. I took it back and got the receiver replaced (not convinced they actually replaced it, they took it to backroom and said they switched it. They did replace my optical audio cable). With the replacement unit I have the exact same issue.

Is there something I am missing with the setup?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes.

You need to run your blu-ray and satellite HDMI to the receiver HDMI in. Then run one HDMI cable from HDMI out to your TV. Forget the optical cable from your TV to the receiver - you don't need it because you have Satellite. Then go into Input/Output assign and then HDMI Input. Set one of the inputs to HDMI1 (or whichever HDMI you plugged into) for your DVD and another one to HDMI2 for the Satellite. Your audio will then be set automatically.

Forget optical cables completely for your DVD and Satellite as long as they have HDMI. You only need optical from DVD and Satellite to your receiver if you hook them up with Component cables. HDMI carries audio too.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Key thing that you're missing is that the receiver included with the HT-S5100 DOES NOT PROCESS ANY AUDIO RECEIVED VIA HDMI...period. Every HDMI source that you connect to that receiver MUST have a corresponding digital audio (coax or optical) connection or you'll get no sound from your speakers. BTW, you had it right when you connected the Bluray to the receiver and, voila, "this worked great". Suggest you RTFM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts