AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

To start off, I am a complete and utter noob when it comes to this stuff. We are looking to get a system for our 50" plasma as sort of a Christmas present for ourselves. The plasma is a year old and I knew going in that the built-in-speakers were a little weak, but I have been supplementing them with a pair of old computer speakers, so truth be told even the cheapest HTIB is probably going to sound great to me.

I initially looked at Bose but others have talked me out of it. I have been looking at the Onkyo HT-S5300 and the S6300 for its up-conversion capabilities (what's an extra $50?).

Right now Amazon has those systems priced at $450 and $500.

I have read over this thread in its entirety so I think I know what I may be getting myself into with the S5300, but a lot of people insist you blow off HTIB kits and instead put one together yourself. That is all well and good if you are an expert, but I would have no idea where to start, and based on reading a few things here I don't see how a better system could be achieved for $400-$500. No one ever really put their money where their mouth is, so I am sure noobs like myself are still left scratching their heads and wondering how.

Can a better kit actually be pieced together for around $500? And I don't mean savaging craigslist for deals, more like, here is this receiver, here is this speaker set, put them together and magic happens. - OR - Is there is a better HTIB out there? Please share. The main goal is to create a good movie watching and game playing experience, music isn't going to be a huge issue for me, which to my understanding is where a lot of the criticisms of HTIBs come from.

Thanks in advance, don't tear into me too hard I mean well, lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think for what you will be using it for a Onkyo HTIB will be perfect. I have an older Onkyo HTS-760 HTIB and still today very happy with it. I want to get the the new 6300 but I'm afraid of the wife right now as I just bought a LG 55LE5500. I think you will be very surprised on how good these units sounds and bang for the buck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would highly suggest buying better speaker wires. monoprice has excellent prices on them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joverstr2
I would highly suggest buying better speaker wires. monoprice has excellent prices on them.
X2

I searched around and it did not seem there was any way to DIY a 7.1 system for under $500. best I could figure was about $700 for a DIY setup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I purchased the HTS5300 about 10 days ago and returned it today. I was very pleased with the sound output, when it worked... I unfortunately didn't come across AVS forums until after I bought the 5300 and came across some of the same issues as a lot of people posted on here.

Basically, my subwoofer had a mind of its own and would go into standby and back on at random times. It sounded awesome when it was on though. I could have gotten a lemon, but after reading a lot of reviews here, I jsut don't know.

I read some great reviews about the 6300 and hardly any bad ones, so when I turned it in, I got a great deal on exchanging my 5300 for the 6300.

I am a HTIB newbie and am not too up on all of this. I read somewhere the the gauge wire that comes in some of these Htibs are pretty much worthless and won't allow the full watts to the speakers? Is that make any sense or am I way off?

What gauge wire would you recommend I get. I won't be ultilizing the IPOD dock much at all, so no music will be played through my system. It is mostly for movies, Games, TV. I am not the richest man in the world, so I would just need suggestion on the best for my buck. I don't have an ear for all of this audio stuff (I think you call them audiophiles?) so I am not sure I would even tell the difference unless I dropped some serious cash for these wires.

Any suggestions?

-Thanks

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrels76 /forum/post/19798171

Hello,

I purchased the HTS5300 about 10 days ago and returned it today. I was very pleased with the sound output, when it worked... I unfortunately didn't come across AVS forums until after I bought the 5300 and came across some of the same issues as a lot of people posted on here.

Basically, my subwoofer had a mind of its own and would go into standby and back on at random times. It sounded awesome when it was on though. I could have gotten a lemon, but after reading a lot of reviews here, I jsut don't know.

I read some great reviews about the 6300 and hardly any bad ones, so when I turned it in, I got a great deal on exchanging my 5300 for the 6300.

I am a HTIB newbie and am not too up on all of this. I read somewhere the the gauge wire that comes in some of these Htibs are pretty much worthless and won't allow the full watts to the speakers? Is that make any sense or am I way off?

What gauge wire would you recommend I get. I won't be ultilizing the IPOD dock much at all, so no music will be played through my system. It is mostly for movies, Games, TV. I am not the richest man in the world, so I would just need suggestion on the best for my buck. I don't have an ear for all of this audio stuff (I think you call them audiophiles?) so I am not sure I would even tell the difference unless I dropped some serious cash for these wires.

Any suggestions?

-Thanks

My parents bought the S5300 a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't use the included sub cable that came with it. Instead, I bought a $25 sub RCA cable from Radioshack, and they have yet to have a problem with the sub.

I also used 18-gauge wire for the speakers, and threw out the included wire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I spent the day out HTIB shopping and came across the S5300 at HH Gregg for $399. I thought it was a steal given its capabilities at that price, and it really sounded good even in the store.

I'd researched it a little a few days ago, but hadn't really paid attention to the amount of problems as I really had my heart set on the Denon DHT-591BA. I really grabbed this because it was on sale. Mine does not have the firmware issue (according to the website anyway), but I'm still a little gun shy since there seem to be so many hit or miss posts about it's reliability. I may just return it tomorrow and spring for the Denon anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found the HT-s5300 for $367 online the other day. Seems like a great deal if you are looking at that one. I, on the other hand, am determined to find an alternative, perhaps the tx-sr508 and polk rm6705 or something. I have been so tempted to get that 5300, but too many people have had "lemons", and I know I'd always want to swap out the speakers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts