AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Newbie HT / Receiver user here. I've been running an older off-brand Wal*Mart 5.1 surround sound set for the last 6 years. I think it cost me about $75.00 total 6 years ago. So, it was definitely time to upgrade to something new, and the $375.00 Black Friday sale on the HT-S5300 finally pushed me over the edge to pull the trigger! I've been looking at this set for quite some time, but finally being able to purchase it locally with available no-interest financing, I figured it would be worth it, instead of waiting to purchase it a bit more expensive from Amazon.

I went with the HT-S5300 over the 3300 due to the addition of the 4th HDMI port, and the powered subwoofer, as well as the iPod dock. I figured it would allow me a bit more flexibility throughout the next few years. Unfortunately, being unexperienced with more complex receivers than the old one that I was using, I'm a bit confused as to the best way to connect everything to the receiver.

I've got the following components that need to be connected to the receiver:

Playstation 3, Fatty -> HDMI

Xbox 360 Fatty -> HDMI

Samsung Blu-Ray Player -> HDMI

PC / PVR -> HDMI

Wii -> Component

Everything from the receiver will then be output, via both HDMI and Component (to support the Wii), to my TV, a Samsung LN46A650.

Now, here's where I get a little bit lost. I actually started this thread without having everything fully connected, as I was a bit confused with it all. After doing some messing, I finally figured out how to connect a component input with stereo audio connectors (by matching the analog audio input with the type of component video input).

After that was done, I was a bit confused as to how to configure the overlapping video feed, since the component video feed was using the same input name as one of the HDMI input feeds. I fought with that for awhile, initially by trying to change the Component input to be a different source, since they were assignable. While this worked for the video, it broke the audio, since the audio was connected to an analog audio input, which was not assigned (nor is it assignable) to the new component input I had assigned for the video feed. So I then switched it back to its standard component video feed. Instead, I went ahead and assigned the matching HDMI input to a random unused input. In this case, I chose AUX. This allowed it to be distinct from the component input, and gave me the ability to configure settings for that input, as they no longer conflicted with any settings that I wanted to make for the component input.

So, as it stands right now, here is the following configuration of my receiver:

Playstation 3, Fatty -> HDMI -> Game Input

PC / PVR -> HDMI -> VCR/DVR Input

Blu-Ray Player -> HDMI -> BD/DVD Input

Xbox 360 -> HDMI -> CBL/SAT Input -//-> Assigned to AUX Input

Wii -> Component -> CBL/SAT Input

Does the described configuration seem correct for the components that I have connected to the receiver? As mentioned, I don't have a fully firm grasp on how the configuration of the components should be, so I was just taking a stab at how it should be done. Currently, I've left the receiver out of the cabinet, so it's easier to switch and rearrange connections as necessary to connect it the way it should be.

I would appreciate any help and advice you can give on configuring the receiver, connecting the components to it, or any other advice you may have relating to it in general.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JChin,

Thanks for that. I had initially changed CBL/SAT under "HDMI Input" to "(-----)", but I hadn't done that yet with the "Digitial Audio Input". I modified that to be blank as well, to avoid conflict.

While in the "Digital Audio Input", I noticed that there were a lot of other default configuration parameters setting certain inputs to other digital audio inputs. Should I go ahead and remove those as well, setting them to blank? The reason I ask is because 2 of the other 3 HDMI inputs I'm using have an associated digital audio input already configured to use them. I'm assuming it doesn't hurt to leave them there, since I don't have anything plugged in, but it would probably be best to remove them anyway, just to keep the interface a bit more clean, and error-proof, correct?

Are there any other things I should look at configuring with the receiver to set it up properly? I guess I've got a few other questions that have popped into my mind during the setup:

1) Nintendo Wii: In reading in a few other posts, I noticed a thread explaining Wii, and how it is actually surround sound capable. With the HT-S5300, someone recommended setting the Wii audio to "Surround". Then setting the Listening Mode to either Movie or Game, and as "Pro Logic II", not "PLIIx". I was messing around with the modes, and never could find "Pro Logic II". All I was able to find was the PLIIx". Is there something that I may have been overlooking to prevent me from seeing that listening mode?

2) Banana Plugs: Yay or nay? Locally, (Home Depot, Lowes, etc), banana plugs are crazy expensive. It's not that big of a deal, as I can pick them up from Monoprice for way cheaper (probably better quality, too). However, I didn't want to buy them if they weren't really worth it anyway. Are they really much better to use then the standard twist-tight method I'm using right now?

Thanks again for all of your help!

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_mckenz
JChin,

Thanks for that. I had initially changed CBL/SAT under "HDMI Input" to "(-----)", but I hadn't done that yet with the "Digitial Audio Input". I modified that to be blank as well, to avoid conflict.

While in the "Digital Audio Input", I noticed that there were a lot of other default configuration parameters setting certain inputs to other digital audio inputs. Should I go ahead and remove those as well, setting them to blank? The reason I ask is because 2 of the other 3 HDMI inputs I'm using have an associated digital audio input already configured to use them. I'm assuming it doesn't hurt to leave them there, since I don't have anything plugged in, but it would probably be best to remove them anyway, just to keep the interface a bit more clean, and error-proof, correct?
It shouldn't effect if using HDMI inputs and no digital audio input as HDMI audio will have priority over digital input, but do it anyway just to avoid conflict.

Quote:
1) Nintendo Wii: In reading in a few other posts, I noticed a thread explaining Wii, and how it is actually surround sound capable. With the HT-S5300, someone recommended setting the Wii audio to "Surround". Then setting the Listening Mode to either Movie or Game, and as "Pro Logic II", not "PLIIx". I was messing around with the modes, and never could find "Pro Logic II". All I was able to find was the PLIIx". Is there something that I may have been overlooking to prevent me from seeing that listening mode?
Because "Pro LOgic II" is for 5.1 setup.

Quote:
2) Banana Plugs: Yay or nay? Locally, (Home Depot, Lowes, etc), banana plugs are crazy expensive. It's not that big of a deal, as I can pick them up from Monoprice for way cheaper (probably better quality, too). However, I didn't want to buy them if they weren't really worth it anyway. Are they really much better to use then the standard twist-tight method I'm using right now?

Thanks again for all of your help!
IMO, banana plugs help makes connection to the back of the receiver easier and less of a chance to short a speaker wire to the reciever case.

I get all my cables, wires and banana plugs from monoprice.com (forum sponser - look above). At times they would have them on sales for .97 a pair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, sweet. I didn't realize Monoprice was a forum sponsor. Definitely a good click-through link for me to go through then, to help support the forum a bit.
I think I'll have to order some of those then, since it sounds like it will certinately help at the least.

With regards to the Pro Logic II, are you saying that it isn't an option, because it's a 5.1 setup, whereas the HT-S5300 is a 7.1? If so, then that stinks, because in the thread, someone mentioned to avoid using the PLIIx, since it was 7.1, and it had to attempt to upconvert the Wii's 5.1 output to 7.1, therefore messing with the overall quality of the sound setup. In my case, I've only got 5 of the speakers connected, as I don't have room for the other 2 right now. I was hoping I would be able to get away with this, and still use the proper 5.1 configuration. Now it looks like I may need to rethink the setup.

The reason why I asked was because in that thread, they recommended testing out the configuration with Metroid Prime 3. I popped in that game and gave it a shot, and couldn't detect much of a surround sound setup at all.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_mckenz
In my case, I've only got 5 of the speakers connected, as I don't have room for the other 2 right now. I was hoping I would be able to get away with this, and still use the proper 5.1 configuration. Now it looks like I may need to rethink the setup.

The reason why I asked was because in that thread, they recommended testing out the configuration with Metroid Prime 3. I popped in that game and gave it a shot, and couldn't detect much of a surround sound setup at all.

Thanks again.
Hmm, the option should be available then.

Double check your two surround speaker connections.

For 5.1 setup the two speakers should be connected to "Surr.Speakers L and R" post and NOT "Surr.Back and Front High Speakers" L and R post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts