AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup consists of the Polk Audio RM6600 speakers with a Yamaha RX-V596. For what it is i think it sounds good and could live with it until i can do a system the way i want.

I have a Samsung HL-S5088 for my TV and am looking into a blu ray player.

After doing some research i was either thinking of getting just a new receiver since i am happy with the speakers at the moment or just dumping everything and getting a packaged system that is more up to date to get me by until i can do what i want.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
keep what you have until you actually get the blu-ray player. Then the choice will be a new receiver to handle the lossless HD codecs.

This is just an opinion, but HD lossless codecs are not a great improvement when the speakers are not full range and top line.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you were considering the HT-S7100, why not get the receiver only (TX-SR606)? Might as well use those Polk speakers since you already have them. That way, you'll only spend like $350-400 on the new receiver.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtz /forum/post/15420876

If you were considering the HT-S7100, why not get the receiver only (TX-SR606)? Might as well use those Polk speakers since you already have them. That way, you'll only spend like $350-400 on the new receiver.

I could do that but i was thinking if im going to buy a new receiver do it once and do it right. So if i was buying a new receiver i would have just waited. Only reason i was thinking the onkyo packaged system was because it is more up to date than my stuff and could hold me over but i wasnt sure if the speakers were better than what i have. I havent check it out in person yet.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I doubt the Onkyo speakers are much better than your Polks. Might be about on par if anything, but Onkyo doesn't really put much effort into speaker design.

The 7100's receiver is a TX-SR606, maybe renumbered and a couple minor differences, but otherwise the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.