AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a new surround system. I don't want to spend more than $1,000 bucks and currently, I don't have the space for a 7.1 and don't want speakers that are too bulky.

My first choice right now, after all those glowing comments here about the system is the

Onkyo HT-S7200 (B) 7.1 (at Amazon for under 800 right now)

However, I'm also considering buying speakers and receiver separate to get better speakers. My first choice would be this:

JBL CS6100BG (at Amazon for under 550)

+ Onkyo TX-SR607 (435)

So for 935 I'd get "only" a 5.1 system vs. the 800 bucks for the 7.1 system. Now I could also just go for the Onkyo TX-SR507 (325) which would bring the cost down to 875.

Now the question is, how much better will those JBL sound compared to the Onkyo speakers that come with the HT-S7200. And is 7.1 really that much better than 5.1? Is it worth buying the 607 for a 5.1 system to have the option to upgrade to 7.1 later or is it a waste of money?

Thanks for your input? Greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the general consensus is that "speaker makers" make better speakers than "electronics makers". If you don't need all the features of the Onkyo SR607, than the SR507 is an acceptable alternative.

by the time you actually might need a 7.1 system (if ever), then you probably will be ready for an upgrade anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts