AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious NewB here so thanks in advance for your help/patience.

I have a Panasonic TH-42PX60U plasma and a Panasonic DMR-ES25S DVD recorder and am wanting to go ahead and get a decent home theater setup. My high def source is a Time Warner cable box (Pace) that does not have HDMI out.

I'm leaning towards Panasonic audio equipment to simplify the remotes and take advantage of Panasonic's HDAVI Control. I've considered the HTIB SC-HT940, but have read mixed reviews and am concerned that it doesn't have a digital audio input. Also, I already have the DVD player as mentioned previously.

So I'm thinking about a Panasonic XR57 receiver at $295. I can pick up some Infinity TSS-750 speakers for $250 at Costco. I'm trying to decide between this and the Onkyo HTS790 HTIB at about $350 to400. Does anyone have any input on what would sound better?

Am I being too concerned about wanting to have a Panasonic branded receiver to go with the Panasonic TV and DVD recorder? The XR57 was not highly rated by Consumer Reports.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I wouldn't be conserned with the receiver being the same brand. You can always pick up a inexpensive universal remote to control everything. Get a recever based on it having the features, connections, quality and sound you like. If you can go try out a few to see what stands out to you before you buy that's always a good thing.

That being said the XR-57 is considered to be a very good receiver. The user interface takes some getting use to compaired to other receivers, it's a smaller receiver due to the digital amps and runs cooler than other analog amps so if you're putting it in a tight space it would be a great choice. Analog amps like the one included in the 790 package need room especially above them for air flow. Some say it can be considered to have a brighter sound when matched with some speakers but that's preference. If HDMI isn't an issue with you and your interesteed in the 57 I would look at the XR-55 instead, it's the same receiver as the XR-57 without HDMI and will save you some $$.

As far as the difference between an HTIB system like the Onkyo HT-S790 and going with a seperate receiver and quality speaker and sub. HTIB systems will package inferior sub and speaker systems in their packages to compete in the market. Onkyo and Yamaha do include quality stand alone receivers with their systems so if you go HTIB I would go with one of those and IMO the HT-S790 is a great system for the price. Shoponkyo.com has it for $339 right now including shipping.

It's really what your budget permits, if you go with a seperate receiver, sub and speaker setup you'll have an overall better quality sounding system because of the speakers and sub. I don't know anything about the Infinity TSS-750 speaker system you mentioned but I did look it up and it looks basically to be an HTIB type package, I'm guessing a little better quality but for the price don't expect much more. Usually the deciding budget factor wheather to go the seperate route is around $600. For that or more depeding on how high you want to go you can put together a system that will blow away an htib package in every way.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, brand loyalty? What the heck is that?

I have a Panasonic DVD player and a Panny VCR and like them both a lot, but I didn't really care for Panny's HTiBs compared to the Onkyos. All are hooked into an RCA TV, btw.

My Onkyo remote works with my Panny VCR and TV, but no universal I can find can work with the DVD player (it's sort of a dinosaur, and I'm looking to replace it with either a new changer or an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray changer if they get around to making one.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the assistance. I appreciate it. I went to CC and listened to the Onkyo 790 system and it sounded great. The Onkyo did seem a little hot in the store and I'm going to have it in an enclosed cabinet so I'm still leaning towards a Panasonic. Unfortunately, I can only find the Panasonic XR55/57 online so I can't listen to it. I'm not too worried about the Infinity TSS 750s because they would come from Costco and I could return them easily if I don't like the sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.