AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a new big HDTV and need some sound to go with it. I like the features of both of these units. I'm far from an audiophile but I want a good surround sound system for my living room. I like the idea of everything all included int the 9100 but I wonder if for a similar price I couldn't get the 806 and some good speakers. The speakers on the 9100 aren't that attractive.

I've read the reviews of both but are there any big differences between the two receivers?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceeyes /forum/post/17025218

Getting a new big HDTV and need some sound to go with it. I like the features of both of these units. I'm far from an audiophile but I want a good surround sound system for my living room. I like the idea of everything all included int the 9100 but I wonder if for a similar price I couldn't get the 806 and some good speakers. The speakers on the 9100 aren't that attractive.

I've read the reviews of both but are there any big differences between the two receivers?

Speakers are 90% of your sound quality. I would definitely spend much less on a receiver and use that money toward better speakers. Don't skimp on speakers or the sub.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/17025307

Speakers are 90% of your sound quality. I would definitely spend much less on a receiver and use that money toward better speakers. Don't skimp on speakers or the sub.

Words of Wisdom
Speakers are by far the most important thing in good sound. Room Treatments are more important than electronics.

OP: What is your budget for an AVR and speakers? What size is the room and what are your needs (% of Movies/TV, Music). That would really help people direct you to options you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Budget around $1200. That covers the 9100 or the 806 ($680) and leave me with about $500-600 for speakers. Room size unknown since I'm getting new place probably about 8-10' from TV. Use 95% TV/Movies and connecting to PS3 for blue ray and a wii. I am a little worried about some of the posts regarding connecting a wii with onkyo systems.

I like the idea of the integrated system. I would however like to get smaller speakers than those that come with the 9100. I really like the idea of the small Bose speakers although I know they are quite overpriced.

·
Registered
28,894 Posts
The receiver in the 9100thx is more equal to the Onkyo 606/607. You can get the 607 around $425 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

The Denon 1910 or Pioneer VSX-1019 might be to your liking also.

that leaves you $775 for speakers and a sub which is doable. Will small bookshelf speakers work? And do you want a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? A 7.1 speaker system does you no good if you don't have the room to set it up properly.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The reciever on the S9100THX is not all that impressive compared to the previous S990THX. Hometheraermag.com tested both and the 9100 was rated about 63 watts per channel all channels driven. The S990THX (a moot point, since the reciever does not feature HDMI connects for HD pic and sound) tested 123 watts per channel all channel driven. However, both models use the same sealed speakers which are very good for small to medium small rooms. All speakers are sealed, and the 12" sub really kicks loud and clean up to a point. The system out of the box is really decent. If the listening area is going to be 8-10 feet from the speakers, and you can find the s990thx new for cheap, I'd jump on that and change the reciever for a better one (HDMI, DTS-HD, DolbyTru HD decoders etc). However, it may be tough to find stands that fit it well (but not impossible. see the dedicated s9100THX thread in the Home Theater In A Box section of the Audio forum). All the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts