AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around in other SR800 threads, and was unable to find out if my setup will work. Currently, I have all 7 speakers of this HTIB setup in my room. I have a Panasonic dvd player running HDMI to my Panasonic plasma. I also have a PS3 running HDMI to the the Panasonic plasma. I have an optical connection running out from the Panasonic plasma to the Onkyo HT-SR800 receiver. When I play a dvd, I turn on the receiver and sound comes out and sounds ok, but I don't think I'm getting the most optimal sound. Is this worse than running optical from the PS3 and dvd player to the Onkyo individually? I'm not sure if the sound is getting watered down after it gets to the TV via hdmi and then re-output to the receiver thru optical connection. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, if your TV is like most, it's downmixing the sound to 2 channel, and the receiver has to expand it back out again. Not optimal.

Run it direct to the receiver to see if it'll sound better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also forgot to mention my other components that are connected to the Panasonic Plasma. I have Wii and Xbox connected via component cables to the tv as well as a Directv HD DVR via HDMI. The reason I do just the optical from the TV to the Onkyo receiver is that I thought it would be easiest to pass all of the sound from whatever is being used on the TV at a given time to the receiver through optical connection so I wouldn't need to change the input on the Onkyo each time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll give that a try. The receiver only has two optical inputs, so I would have to cut out either my Directv box or the PS3. None of those 3 systems have another sound output besides optical.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd148 /forum/post/15568252

I'll give that a try. The receiver only has two optical inputs, so I would have to cut out either my Directv box or the PS3. None of those 3 systems have another sound output besides optical.

however, if you do have to go that route... my suggestion would be to drop the cable box, there isn't much multichannel programming on TV anyways (at least, not that I watch
). but as always... it is whatever you decide is best for your setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great suggestions! I will see what works best. I don't know why I have the Directv box hooked up, it just sounds good sometimes for football games and for certain shows. You are probably right, its probably not necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I remember why I wanted the Directv receiver hooked in, I like to play the XM stations through the sound system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts