AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first of all, fantastic receiver. Audyssey setup was painless, and sounds fantastic, even though my room is severely acoustically challenged.

BUT

One of the reasons I bought this receiver was to stream audio from my PC.

I can recognize the PC server, and I can browse and play tracks, albums, etc. The search function is clunky, and the scrolling is abominably slow, but whatever. Got a smoking deal from Amazon and can't complain.

What I can't seem to get over is that when I try to play an album, the songs will only ever play in alphabetical order, rather than the order of their track numbers, as you might normally want. Try listening to "Dark side of the moon" or the White album in alphabetical order - it kind of screws with the mood.

I talked to Onkyo tech support and they were not at all helpful.

Running Vista, and Windows Media Player 11.

Any ideas?

- Thanks

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Rename your digital files so that the track number is part of the file name. For instance a song "The First Track" would be "01 - The First Track". There's tons of free software that will do this for you automatically.

BTW, this naming convention is considered to be standard practice for most music ripping programs to avoid the exact issue you are having.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess if I get desperate, but that seems like a drastic solution. I was hoping that the engineers at Windows would have made WMP server work right from the get-go, but alas ...

I managed to shut off the Windows Media Player service, and install the free version of TVersity.

The good news - when I play an album, the tracks play in the right order. The bad news - there is now no search function on the receiver side. So I have to navigate through a list of tracks, or albums, manually. And the scroll is very slow, and there's no way to jump +10 or manually enter a number, like "jump to the 300th place on this list of 800 albums".

Maybe a future version of TVersity will implement this.

Any other suggestions about DLNA-compliant media servers I could try?

Thanks,

bailard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.