AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched them both. Had a Onkyo HT-R670 and the HDMI ports took a dump on me. I should have listened to the posts about them running hot. It's in a hot room (Florida room) so I had a fan blowing on it whenever it was on. Apparently, that wasn't good enough. Warranty is out, so now I'm stuck. Looking at these two units. Then Onkyo sure looks good, but I'm hesistant because of the heating issue, plus it really packs more features than I need. That's what got me looking at the 1611. It doesn't have as many features, but it does seem to have what I'm looking for (7.1, mic calibration, ipod connectivity, HDMI ports, etc). I've never owned a Denon before. I'll still be using my Onkyo speakers (6 ohms) and I know the Denon is rated for 6-18 ohms, or something like that, so I think I'll be fine there.

Just wanted to throw it out to the experts since I rely on you guys a lot with electronic stuff.

The Onkyo is available local, packs more features, and is about $100 more, but the heating issue concerns me.

The Denon has fewer features, is a little less money, but will the sound/picture quality be as good?

Am I missing one that may be better than these two in the $300-400 price range?

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
The Denon has a better version of Audyssey - Mult EQ vs the 2EQ with the Onkyo. 2EQ does not equalize the sub.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going with the Denon. A new 1611 and a refurbed 1911 are around the same price (give or take a few bucks), so now it's decision time!

ahhhh, decisions, decisions. Final thoughts, anyone?

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
If you go with the refurbished unit you can get an extended warranty from MackCam . Most refurbished AVRs have a one year or 90 day warranty. Make sure to check which you are getting before you buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.