AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to select either of Onkyo 3008 or 5008, with bias towards the former. Before I finalize, would be great to know if there are any known weaknesses or issues with these systems so that I can make a knowledgeable choice.

I know these info may be there in tit-bits in several threads. But it helps if we can add a list here, especially from people who own it or have considered it.

Thanks,

Ethan.

·
Banned
418 Posts
I've been looking at these two onkyos and the denon 4311 , only cause they have multEQ32. Denon is risky with so many audio and video bugs with the new units. The onkyo bugs seem to be all fixed todate with the latest firmware. The only bad thing about onkyo is the clicking it makes when channel changing modes like 2.0 to 5.1 click click, the denon is soild state, so no clicking in that area. I might not go 9.2 or 11.2 and just may stay with good old 5.1 or 7.1. MutlEQ32 is on my mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketcash /forum/post/19535565

I've been looking at these two onkyos and the denon 4311 , only cause they have multEQ32. Denon is risky with so many audio and video bugs with the new units. The onkyo bugs seem to be all fixed todate with the latest firmware. The only bad thing about onkyo is the clicking it makes when channel changing modes like 2.0 to 5.1 click click, the denon is soild state, so no clicking in that area. I might not go 9.2 or 11.2 and just may stay with good old 5.1 or 7.1. MutlEQ32 is on my mind.

Thanks.

Channel changes modes to 2.0 to 5.1 -- didn't quite understand that. Can you elaborate?

Also, since you have looked into these Onkyos, did you check out the Sepeakers A and B configuration in the instruction manual?

·
Banned
418 Posts
As for video performance or audio for that matter, I don't know how good it is, but if its not buggy than its as good as its gets in that price range. The onkyo clicking is not a bug, its just how it was designed to work. Changing channels and even station breaks that change sound modes between 2.0 and 5.1 will cause the onkyos to make a clicking sound, not though the speakers but in the AVR unit itself, its the sound of mechanical relays. My friend has a onkyo 608 which is good for the money, it clicks with mode changes, you just get use to it, but at first its annoying, but for onkyos flagship AVRs you would like the better soild state design.

·
Banned
418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins.ethans /forum/post/19535629

Thanks.

Also, since you have looked into these Onkyos, did you check out the Sepeakers A and B configuration in the instruction manual?

Now adays they call it "zones"

I plan to "BTL" my fronts and go 5.1 .

The 3008 and 5008 are the only AVRs I know of that can put out about 300 rms watts per channel to the front mains.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another point comes up -- does the Onkyos (reon-vx) clean the 1080p signals from HDMI? This is actually quite an important requirement as several full HD transmissions noisy, with several artifacts.

I post this query since somewhere I read the IDT's Reon-Vx may not be doing it. So, if some one can clarify, that will be very helpful.

·
Banned
418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins.ethans /forum/post/19535917

Another point comes up -- does the Onkyos (reon-vx) clean the 1080p signals from HDMI? This is actually quite an important requirement as several full HD transmissions noisy, with several artifacts.

I post this query since somewhere I read the IDT's Reon-Vx may not be doing it. So, if some one can clarify, that will be very helpful.

Mostly from what I have seen, they just soften the picture and you lose detail, its trade off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, just curious: Is it really loosing the detail or cleaning the mosquito noise and edge artifacts?

I am quite doubtful if reon-vx is really doing anything with 1080p signal -- IDT spec doesn't have any mention of that, but add that feature for their latest vida chipset

·
Banned
418 Posts
I've never looked hard into that cause my cable picture (1080i) is clear as it gets, only really tried it on home made dvds(480p). Its just looks softer. This is with a onkyo 608 mind you. You just need a better cable provider. Nothing can clear up a bad picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.