AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I love my Onkyo NR3010...never gave me any issues and its pretty heavy and powerful. STILL, I kind of wanted to get into the whole Atmos height sounds and I started looking at the Denon 3600h because it has Dolby Atmos height virtualization which would be perfect as I am not going to add actual height speakers.
I am using 9 speakers and 3 subs.
My concern is...I am old school so when I look at the heavy NR3010 at 55lbs and pulling up to 11amps from the wall vs the 3600h at a slim 26lbs pulling only 660Watts from the wall..., it just does not inspire confidence that the power is going to be closed to what I am used to. Maybe technology has changed that much since my NR3010? :D
BTW, my ONLY option is really Denon since I must have Audyssey XT32 like my Onkyo has and the price range of the 3600h seems about right.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
88,560 Posts
Although the NR3010 provides more power, the more relevant question is how much power is required to reach your preferred listening volume levels based on the impedance/sensitivity of your speakers.

Also note, as of 2016, Front Wide speakers were dropped by all major brands. In 2018 only the Denon X8500H and Marantz AV8805 introduced Front Wide again. There are no 2019 models (eg. X3600H) that support Front Wide. Of the newly released 2020 models, Front Wide support is only supported on the Denon X6700H and most likely the Marantz SR7015/SR8015 as well, although the 2020 Marantz models won't likely be released until late summer/fall.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I had a Onkyo 876. Don't recall the weight, but it was a beast to pick up. Went with a 4500 for my 5.1.4 system. I use a Emotiva BasX A150 to power two porch speakers. Everything works great. And really pleased with the Atmos sound for movies. Can't say I miss the Onkyo very much.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although the NR3010 provides more power, the more relevant question is how much power is required to reach your preferred listening volume levels based on the impedance/sensitivity of your speakers.

Also note, as of 2016, Front Wide speakers were dropped by all major brands. In 2018 only the Denon X8500H and Marantz AV8805 introduced Front Wide again. There are no 2019 models (eg. X3600H) that support Front Wide. Of the newly released 2020 models, Front Wide support is only supported on the Denon X6700H and most likely the Marantz SR7015/SR8015 as well, although the 2020 Marantz models won't likely be released until late summer/fall.
Oh, I was not aware of the front wide speakers missing on the 3600h, thanks for bringing that up. I guess I could forget those since my fronts are pretty wide apart due to the big screen. I must do some tests to see how my system sounds without those. Then see if I can hang some small speakers for heights in the end. Looks like the 3600h is the cheapest Atmos that has Audyssey XT32 and 9 speakers.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, if you have the space you can use the preouts on the x3600 to connect to your 3010 as an amp, maybe to power the front channels.
Yeah that could be an option but I guess I can get a smaller amp than my Onkyo for just the front channels, or even just a stereo amp. Then hopefully the 3600h will have good clean power for the center and the rest.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Onkyo NR3010
According to https://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr3010-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures
your receiver must be pretty damn old because the review actually MEASURES something! :p
Power drops with more channels but yes stronger than the average bear, er, AVR. But the Denon 3600h seems its equal https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3600h-av-receiver-review.12676/ and has become a tiny bit legendary due to really good audio measurements. The thing is, probably out of stock, so good luck!!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to https://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr3010-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures
your receiver must be pretty damn old because the review actually MEASURES something! :p
Power drops with more channels but yes stronger than the average bear, er, AVR. But the Denon 3600h seems its equal https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3600h-av-receiver-review.12676/ and has become a tiny bit legendary due to really good audio measurements. The thing is, probably out of stock, so good luck!!
It is indeed on the old side lacking Atmos but surely powerful. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts