AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to buy Onkyo's Tx-NR 5008. While going through the instruction manual, I came across the Speakers A and Speakers B configuration (pg 13) where A is for home theatre setup (7.2/5.2) and B is for audio only setup (2.0/2.1). It ' seems' that the front L/R for these A and B configuration are different -- ie 2 front pairs one each for A and B.

This sounds confusing. In my scenario, I want to invest in 2 high quality speakers (front L/R) which I want to use for audio-only listening (2.0) as well as for use with 5.1 setup.

Is this possible? Has anyone tried it? Since A and B are selectable from the onkyo's menu, to which one do I attach these speakers? (I do not want to manually unplug/replug the speaker terminals on the back of onkyo every time I want to switch my listening). BTW, does this demarcation of A and B to have different front speakers make much sense (unless someone buys THX certified fronts especially for movies)?

If someone can clarify, that will be of good help.

Cheers,

Ethan

·
Registered
30,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins.ethans /forum/post/19535346

I am planning to buy Onkyo's Tx-NR 5008. While going through the instruction manual, I came across the Speakers A and Speakers B configuration (pg 13) where A is for home theatre setup (7.2/5.2) and B is for audio only setup (2.0/2.1). It ' seems' that the front L/R for these A and B configuration are different -- ie 2 front pairs one each for A and B.

This sounds confusing. In my scenario, I want to invest in 2 high quality speakers (front L/R) which I want to use for audio-only listening (2.0) as well as for use with 5.1 setup.

Is this possible? Has anyone tried it? Since A and B are selectable from the onkyo's menu, to which one do I attach these speakers? (I do not want to manually unplug/replug the speaker terminals on the back of onkyo every time I want to switch my listening). BTW, does this demarcation of A and B to have different front speakers make much sense (unless someone buys THX certified fronts especially for movies)?

If someone can clarify, that will be of good help.

Cheers,

Ethan

Use the "A" terminals and play what you like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's my quick guess, but want to know the purpose behind the configuration.

Also, are there any difference in quality or other settings/configuration behind them?

I am trying to understand these points.

·
Registered
30,797 Posts
The "A" terminals are for the local system and associated with all the other main system speakers and setups.

The "B" terminals are for a separate "remote" system. If you do not intend such, ignore them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought so before, but the Instruction Manual says something different. If you look into it, at pg 13, it says that speakers A and B configuration can use the same subwoofers. It also tends to mention about the same room in the diagram given in that page. And, there is no mention of 'zones' there.

·
Registered
30,797 Posts
It is for an additional pair of speakers which you can put anywhere but, since you do not have any, just ignore this option. There will be many others to ignore as well.

That said, the "A" speakers are what you use for your main or only system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I agree. Hoping that I will not miss out on some extra configuration/settings on these speakers that may be beneficial for stereo listening.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Perhaps someone might have a pair of excellent speakers that are good for listening to music, and a separate 7.1 speaker system that they use for watching movies. They could select A for listening to movies (and other surround sources) and B for listening to stereo music.

It is quite possible a pair of speakers might be excellent, but not match the rest of your speakers, so you wouldn't want to use them in combination with the others.

This would mean having 9 speakers in your living room (plus sub), and you would never use them all at once.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Hoping that I will not miss out on some extra configuration/settings on these speakers that may be beneficial for stereo listening.

The primary difference is that you are limited to stereo on speaker B. On many systems, Speaker B will downmix to provide stereo output of 5.1+ sources. Of course, you can usually do this for speaker A by pressing Stereo on your remote.

Other than that, there usually isn't really a difference.

If you aren't going to use separate L/R speakers for music and movies, then just connect everything to Speaker A.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts