AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is NR929 a 9 channel receiver with a true 11.2 pre amplifier? Or is my only option is to go with the officially declared 11.2 Marantz or Yamaha preamps?

1. Can I use the preamp output to drive a XPR5 and a 7ch Sherwood to get a full 11.2 output for movies?

2. Can I use the speaker outs on the NR 929 to drive 2 front highs, 2 rear and 2 back surrounds, while I use one XPR5 for the rest of the 5 channels (avoiding the use of my Sherwood 7 channel entirely)? I think this may require rerouting/mapping the 929's speaker outputs - excluding the channels used for the XPR5 (front speakers) through preamp output - to the appropriate ones.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsekhar  /t/1523591/onkyo-nr929-as-a-preamp-to-drive-11-2ch#post_24510940

Is NR929 a 9 channel receiver with a true 11.2 pre amplifier?
11.1 actually. The two subwoofer outputs seem to be just an internal Y connection. See page 14 of the owner's namual.

See pages 14 & 17 of its owner's manual for other 11 channel info. You do need to add at least one external stereo amp if you want an 11 channel configuration.
Quote:
Or is my only option is to go with the officially declared 11.2 Marantz or Yamaha preamps?
The Onkyo 3010 and 5010 are 11.2, and so is Denon's AVR 4520. Like the 929, they all need at least one external stereo amp in order to drive 11 speakers. Note that Yamaha's 11 speaker channels are organized differently from those on receivers which provide Audyssey and DTS Neo:X. And, of course, there are much more expensive devices like those from Datasat.
Quote:
1. Can I use the preamp output to drive a XPR5 and a 7ch Sherwood to get a full 11.2 output for movies?
Yes. However, if you use an external receiver as an amplifier, volume and other settings in that receiver have to be carefully considered.
Quote:
2. Can I use the speaker outs on the NR 929 to drive 2 front highs, 2 rear and 2 back surrounds, while I use one XPR5 for the rest of the 5 channels (avoiding the use of my Sherwood 7 channel entirely)? I think this may require rerouting/mapping the 929's speaker outputs - excluding the channels used for the XPR5 (front speakers) through preamp output - to the appropriate ones.
In an 11 channel configuration, you must provide an external amp for the front-wide speakers, but for the other 9 speaker channels. you can either connect an external amp to the appropriate preamp outputs or use the 929's internal amps. See page 17 of the owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
91,799 Posts
As noted above, although the 929 uses Audyssey MultEQ XT32 just as do the Denon 4520CI and Marantz 8801, it does not feature Audyssey Sub EQ HT as do the D&M models, so there is no independent calibration or control of dual subs as there also is on the Yamaha A2030 and A3030 as well. To get this feature, you would need to upgrade to the 3010 or 5010 or wait for their successor models to be released in a few months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts