AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to finally set up my HTS. I have the TV, BDP, and 360...now I just need the sound to go with it. I am not looking to spend more than ~$600. I dont have a room that would work for 7.1 so I am going to have to go with a 5.1 setup. I believe in my price range I am going to go best with a HTIB. The two that I have seen that have gotten better reviews are the Onkyo HT-S6200 (I know its 7.1) and the Denon DHT-590BA. Which is going to give me better results? I am not set on these, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
They look pretty comparable. The Onkyo can be set for 5.1, or you can incorporate the extra two speakers as front height using Pro LogicIIz (they'd be placed above the left and right fronts, probably near the ceiling.)

There is also the Yamaha YHT-591. It lists for $650, but you can certainly find it cheaper online if you shop around.

·
Registered
29,410 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So am I correct that the Onkyo set comes with a better receiver and lesser speakers, while the Denon is better speakers with a lesser receiver? I forgot to mention that I am also planning on running speakers into all of the rooms in my house from this receiver to a 2nd amp for music in all rooms. Will I be better off with one of these over the other or would the both perform equally. Frog I am not familiar with Jamo, how do they compare overall? Again thanks to all.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The Onkyo has the two extra channels for 7.1, but I wouldn't say it's better than the Denon unless you want 7.1 or the extra speakers for height channels up front. Your call on that.

The Boston Acoustic speakers in the Denon package are pretty sweet for a HTIB.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I noticed the denon receiver only outputs 70w per speaker. Is that a bit low compared to some of the yamaha receivers that output 100w for similar pricing?

If only interested in sound quality, it should still make a difference right?

·
Registered
29,410 Posts
No, and there is no guarantee that the Onkyo really puts out a true 100w per channel.

Both receivers are good enough for your needs but I would get the Denon because of the better room calibration software and the analog conversion to HDMI. Don't know if you'll need that feature or not.

If you have an iPod the 6200 comes with a dock so that might affect your decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.