AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup everyone, first time poster here, I have a question I am told the people in the forums here will indeed have the knowledge to answer, which gives me confidence in asking.

I currently have an Onkyo HT-S580 which I use in my living room, 5.1 fully active using fiber optic. We recently purchased Yamaha NS-AW390 outdoor speakers .

As you can see, the Onkyo system has A/B speaker capability. Using the B speaker set, I hooked up the outdoor speakers securely and correctly, running them about 20-30 ft out my back door, using standard speaker wire.

The A speakers run fine, but the B speakers cause the system to enter the protective state, shutting it off. They can play at times but turning them up causes the system to shut off.

I am very good at hooking things up (inserting wires, cables), however I am not very good with specifications/electricity/current flow/ohms, etc. I took a rather poor approach assuming the speakers would work fine, but they are not, so I look to you guys for guidance.

Can anyone tell me what's up, and tell me what I should do?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I see the link to the reciever I posted no longer works for whatever reason, to view it please visit here.

Seems like the receiver is designed for 8 ohm speakers, and these outdoors speakers are 6.

Is that the problem, and can I fix it without buying new speakers?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Does the receiver go into protection mode with both sets of speakers playing or only when using the outdoor spealers alone?

If its with both, not much you can do cheaply, other than stop doing that. If its with just the outdoor speakers, I'd check your wiring for shorts, stray strands or any other cuts or abrasions. A 6ohm speaker isn't going to cause it to go into protect mode alone.

Actually, either way, I'd check out the outdoor speaker wiring end to end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does it either way, when A&B are on, or just B. I've checked the wiring multiple times, it seems fine...the copper from the wire may have gotten slightly rusty in the rain, could that make a difference? We've gotten an unusual amount of hard rainy days here.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiz /forum/post/16954893

It does it either way, when A&B are on, or just B. I've checked the wiring multiple times, it seems fine...the copper from the wire may have gotten slightly rusty in the rain, could that make a difference? We've gotten an unusual amount of hard rainy days here.

So it doesn't happen when you use just "A"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the A speakers, hooked up only to the 5 speaker set and sub that came with the system, works perfectly, and has been for years...only when B is on, by itself, or in combination, does it shut off after about 10-30 seconds...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Gotta be the wiring or some internal speaker damage. Try disconnecting each set of B speaker wires one set at a time, at the receiver end and see if it happens.

You'll narrow it down to which speaker or run of wire is causing the problem.

edit: Just thought of something else to try first. Connect the "B" speaker leads to the "A" terminals and see what happens. Disconnect the "A" speakers wires first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts