AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3275 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Should I consider this over the Integra 9.9. The Integra lacks pure audio mode, yet it has gold connectors. Is there any other differences?

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter /forum/post/15093298

Should I consider this over the Integra 9.9. The Integra lacks pure audio mode, yet it has gold connectors. Is there any other differences?

You'll be able to get the 886 for $150-200 less than a 9.9. Trade off is the 886 only has a 2 year warranty while the 9.9 has a 3 year warranty I believe.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by epalau /forum/post/15095488

You'll be able to get the 886 for $150-200 less than a 9.9. Trade off is the 886 only has a 2 year warranty while the 9.9 has a 3 year warranty I believe.

actually, the "list" price of the 886 is $50 more than the 9.9, which is strange to me given that it has one year less warranty. Obviously, street prices are more in line with what you said..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can someone please explain Audyssey MultEQ Pro to me? How do you get it? Does it require a professional installer or can I do it myself. What are the advantages? I have a DTC-9.8.

Mike

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo /forum/post/15095498

actually, the "list" price of the 886 is $50 more than the 9.9, which is strange to me given that it has one year less warranty. Obviously, street prices are more in line with what you said..

If the list price for the 886 is only $50 that could be attributed to the provided rack ears.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_wassell /forum/post/15095681

Can someone please explain Audyssey MultEQ Pro to me? How do you get it? Does it require a professional installer or can I do it myself. What are the advantages?

The quick answer is that Audyssey Pro calibration is done by a trained Audyssey Pro installer with a pro kit. You'll have to pay for the installer as well as the license key specific to your pre/pro.

Some of the advantages of the pro calibration is that you can do up to 32 mic placements as opposed to 8, you can choose roll off curves that are suited to your room size and some others. If you want to know more I'd suggest posting questions over in the Audyssey forum.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter /forum/post/15099497

Are rack ears provided with the 886? Are there feet for placing it on a shelf?

The 886 comes with the rack mount kit in the box which takes up 4U. The kit consists of side panels. Each side panel has a lip that goes under the processor. This is a better system than just rack ears. The unit comes with feet. Using the rack mount kit one would normally remove the feet as they protude below the unit when the rack mount kit is used.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter /forum/post/15102420

Should I get the 9.9? I don't intend to rack mount the unit.

acoustically and electrically, they are identical. Aesthetically you have to decide which one you like best. Price wise, they are within $50 on the street, so it is really a tossup.

I have contacts for both in case you are interested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Prasound C1/A51 and i want to change the C1 to Maranz AV8003 or Onkyo 886 , what should i tack when the movies are prefer d . I need a help please , thanks .

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ordered the PR-SC886P from ggvideo.com today

proacousticsusa.com and missionelectronics.com also have it.

All 3 seem to be reputable dealers.

For anyone still uncertain about the 886 vs 9.9 here are the differences I have found so far:

Rack mount on the 886 not on 9.9

2 year warranty on 886 vs 3 yr on 9.9

front panel looks different on both

886 includes pure audio mode which is why I selected it. This is an analog bypass mode with minimal processing. The 9.9 also has an analog bypass mode but from what I have read the pure audio on the 886 is better. Obviously, if you are using all digital sources it doesn't matter which you chose, but for people like me who have a turntable the 886 may be the way to go.

Thanks to all the posters!

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALDINO /forum/post/15107913

I have Prasound C1/A51 and i want to change the C1 to Maranz AV8003 or Onkyo 886 , what should i tack when the movies are prefer d . I need a help please , thanks .

the upcoming C3 should be a great match for you, but will cost $3500 as compared to the onkyo ($2000 msrp) and 8003 ($2700 msrp).

as for the 886 vs 8003, the following features are missing on the 8003:

* Audyssey Pro capabilities

* Audyssey DynamicEQ

* Audyssey DynamicVolume

* HQV Reon processing (vs Anchor bay)

* ISF calibration

additionally, you cannot engage Audyssey when using HDR codecs (TruHD or DTS-MA), and you cannot matrix the surrounds as well when in this mode.

There are some who have found the marantz to have a "better" analog performance, but you will have to try them out and decide for yourself

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
hooked everything up in less than 30min, ran audyssey, and all is running as should.

Pros:

* excellent connectivity and flexibility

* Audyssey works flawlessly (except on LFE, see note below)

* in Pure mode, analog performance is surprisingly good. Nowhere near a Proceed AVP2 level, but much better than I expected.

* DynamicEQ is phenomenal!

Cons:

* Audyssey's LFE, as before, is completely ruining my low frequency! See this post .

* gets hot! make sure there is plenty of cooling

more detailed feedback in a few days...

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
In regards to heat I found that if there is upward air flow for the back half of the unit (where the grill openings are) that the unit runs much cooler. My unit is rack mounted. I found that by putting a shorter component above the PR-SC886P really helped the temperature.

41 - 60 of 3275 Posts