AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a tx sr 702 and it is having problems. turns on and lights up but no sound. i unplugged everything but 2 speakers and the power and still no sound. my best guess would be a bad relay. so for four days now i have been trying to find someone to work on it. finally talked to onkyo today and they said the only service center is in salt lake city, utah. i was told to box it up and drop it in the mail, so much for customer service.

does anybody have any exp with onkyo warranty repairs? i really don't want to have to mail it if i don't have to.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why not take it to the place of purchase? If one place sells an item, they should service it, correct?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for the record, i bought it at Nebraska furniture mart and was turned away and given the number of a shop that does not do onkyo warranty work. i may have to go back and talk to a manager.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Was it store used? Display model? You could possibly try resetting the receiver. Maybe going though the setup button. Could work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have you ever had sound form this unit??

what do you have connected to it and how is it connected....and i don't mean speakers??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the product was new 4 months ago and worked fine. i powered if off early because of a thunder storm fri night. sat morning i turned it on and no sound. power never went out and nothing else was malfunctioning. sat is hooked up using optical cable for audio and component for video. dvd is hooked up using analog and digital coax. using a carver tfm 15 to power the fronts.

i have had concerns using the video switching could increase risk of failure.

anyway i tried a reset function that just reset everything to factory default.

one thing i noticed was when i switched from cd to tuner i heard no relay click that you hear so much of with these newer receivers. i wonder if a relay could have been welded or otherwise got stuck.

i have been thinking about it. shipping it off may get me the best possible service. instead of some teck who does mostly tv's and vcr's. i had a bad experience with a lawnmower and a shop that didn't want to fix it under warranty, they cleaned the grass off it and sharpened the blade and gave me a bill and a lawn mower that didn't work. took it in there twice and it still never worked right.

they kept telling me it was water in the gas (the old it's your fault).

so i guess the real question is us mail, fed-ex or ups.

any thoughts are much appreciated

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i pulled it out of the box and hooked it up to a speaker pair hoping the ride around the city had fixed the problem, no such luck.

here is what i know. when the unit was working, when activating the pure audio mode, which eliminates all unnecessary circuitry, there was a strong click. many different clicks with this thing but i remember a strong click of a relay or relays. now since it broke when activating the pure audio mode all i get is a delayed half hearted click. if this is the cause or a symptom is unknown.

one other thing i noticed is the humidity has been way up for the past week or so. just another observation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It appears it will need to go to the repair shop and since the place of purchase isn't authorized, you probably will have to pay. No way around that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hhmmm... does sound like it's in need of a repair.

As far as the loud click when switching into pure audio mode, my 801 does the same thing. I haven't had any issues with this avr since day one.

Hopefully yours will get fixed or right itself!!

Good luck

Christian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.