AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

A little bit of history. I've owned the Onkyo RC160 for a year. It's been a phenomenal receiver for the money. I've just recently picked up an Epson 8700UB Projector as well.

I've recently moved into a new house. When I was hooking up my speakers (with the receiver power on), I accidentally crossed some speaker wires. This caused the Onkyo to make a "pop" noise, and shut off. The good news, is that it wasn't broken, and it seemed to work just fine upon powering it back on. When I say that it "works fine," I mean anything that has to do with HDMI, which is what I primarily use almost always. (PS3 -> Onkyo -> Projector and Xbox 360 -> Onkyo -> Projector).

Anyhow, I'm having a couple of issues with it now that I've been wanting to use my component devices, that may or may not be related to the above.

First problem, is I don't have the setup OSD anymore. I've had it before when the receiver was plugged up into my old LCD TV, but I don't get it with the projector. When I change my settings on the Onkyo, I now only get the display on the receiver when adjusting things. I've tried everything. Pressing the "Setup" on the remote and on the receiver. I've tried the same method in all of the input channels. I guess I consider the OSD now forever gone for some strange reason. I've navigated through the settings, and checked to the best of my knowledge, and it looks like that I should be seeing the OSD...

Second, my component inputs do not work anymore. Here is how my component devices are setup:

Nintendo Wii -> Receiver (COMPONENT1 IN) -> Receiver (HDMI Out) -> Projector (HDMI 1 IN) = Nothing

Xbox -> Receiver (COMPONENT2 IN) -> Receiver (HDMI OUT) -> Projector (HDMI 1 IN) = Nothing

I've tried this different configuration for both of these devices to try to nail down the problem some more:

Xbox/Nintendo Wii -> Receiver (COMPONENT1/2 IN) Receiver (COMPONENT OUT) -> Projector (COMPONENT IN) = Nothing.

So this tells me that my Components IN and OUT on the receiver are non functional.

I've of course tried this to assure that my devices are indeed working:

Xbox/Nintendo Wii (COMPONENT OUT) -> Projector (COMPONENT IN) = Works.

All that shows up on my screen for any of the above non-functional cases is my Projector with the text "HDMI 1 No Signal" with a black screen.

I've tried navigating through the setup (on the reciever's panel of course) and assured that all of the inputs are assigned properly. For instance, making sure that "Component 1 IN" is being assigned to a specific channel such as "Game", and making sure that I'm on the "game" channel when I test, etc.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
251 Posts
just a thought.....do you have another tv in the house that you can move the reciever to? other than the "pop" you experienced, it sounds like the projector is new in your a/v chain. i would try and bypass that first to see if thats the issue. if it doesnt work there, sounds like your "pop" is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm going to have to send it in for repair at this point.

I've also decided to replace it before doing so, being that I'll be without entertainment for up to a month, easily.

What's a good replacement for the Onkyo that provides a nice little upgrade?

I was eyeballing this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120181

I don't care too much about features. As long as it supports lossless, has plenty of inputs, can upscale legacy devices to 1080p, and has powerful specs then I'm golden. Maybe the item above is "too much."

My current speakers are a Polk Monitor set. In the near future, I will be building my own 5.1 set with custom 6.5" drivers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.