AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently picked up one of the RC-360 amps for $250 on their 4th of July sale.

So far LOVE the receiver! It's taken care of all my video routing needs, the internet radio is great, and for the price can't really beat it IMO!

I finally installed my surround speakers after 2 years of living in my new house. I ran 16 gauge speaker wire behind my baseboards. About 40-45 feet to reach the furthest speaker. I installed a 4 speaker binding post to make the connections in and out of the wall. Pictures below including one of the wire I used. I used some open screw Banana plugs as well.

Banana Plug ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/img2409l.jpg )

Wall plate #1 ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/img2411z.jpg )

Wall plate #2 ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/img2413p.jpg )

Speaker Wire used ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/img2415qx.jpg )

So here's the rub.

I've got some distortion that happens only in the surround speakers when the receiver has to decode the 2 channel PLx II or DTS: Neo. The sounds coming from the speakers is best described as 'underwater' or 'tin-ny' like perhaps the reverb is messed up or something, I've honestly got no idea. In regular Dolby Digital or DTS things are fine, and in higher Blu Ray quality like DTS HD Master, it sounds amazing. Just the matrix decoded audio.

Any ideas what could be causing this or how to fix it?

I've run the Audessey setup (The 3 point one not the 'quick' one) and that's how my speaker settings have been calculated.

Help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All channel stereo seems to be fine. It doesn't knock my socks off and I've only tested it in that regard briefly but it all seems fine.

So if it's not a problem and it's just bad sound what's the point of decoding like DTS: Neo and PLx II? Is there a time that it is useful?

What should I do for non Dolby signals?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bad sources are FIOS on demand TV (Mickey Mouse non-HD)

Other non HD Channels that come in 2 channel audio

Internet Radio

Netflix (This is the worst and most annoying because when streaming Netflix it's noticeable.)

Basically anything that comes in a 2 channel signal sounds like poop when converted to 5.1, is that normal?

I know when the 5.1 channels come in it switches to DD OR DTS, but what's the best way to listen the 2 channel audio? Music is easy, all channel stereo, but what about 2 channel TV?

So conclusion is that what I'm experiencing is just normal, not an actual problem?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
If yours has it, try TV Logic. Not all Onkyo have it though.

I'm sick today sitting on the couch trying to get ordering done. Watching The Comancheros on MaxWest. The rear surround(no matter what I choose) is basically non-existant.

Switching on DTS NEO creates a hum in the rear channels when there is "nothing else to do"...

Also, Netflix is so bad many times I don't bother with anything but stereo.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I'd do some snooping... True stereo with no surround intended should be listened to in a stereo mode.

I find most 2 channel movies that really were mixed for Dolby prologic to be pretty convincing with DPLIIx.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/20769756

I'd do some snooping... True stereo with no surround intended should be listened to in a stereo mode.

I find most 2 channel movies that really were mixed for Dolby prologic to be pretty convincing with DPLIIx.....

So most likely what I'm experiencing is just a bad signal not meant for DPL IIx not some other problem look signal degradation or other interference from the receiver or wiring?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.