AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo Receiver (TX-NR636) and looking for a pair of speakers.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of the LS50's based purely on what I read.

Want them mainly for music and occasionally movies. The idea is to start with a 2.0 setup and at a later stage get a subwoofer as well.

Do you foresee any issues with the above idea?
Will my receiver be able to drive decently the speakers?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
The Kef LS50 are low impedance, low sensitivity speakers FYI. 86dB and 4ohm. So they need a bit of power and a amp with a decent power supply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both!

I understand that my receiver will be the definite bottleneck there, but since speakers are future proof equipment (especially these classics), I can survive with ~1 year of "bad"/not optimal performance until I upgrade my receiver with something much better.
Would that work or am I missing something?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's btw some info on the receiver:

AMPLIFIER FEATURES
  • 160 W/Ch (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 Channel Driven, IEC); 175 W/Ch (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA)
  • WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)
  • H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer
  • Discrete Output Stage Circuitry
  • Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
  • PLL (Phase Locked Loop) Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology for S/PDIF Audio

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fair enough, what do you think about my plan as described in my previous comment?
Would it work for some time before a get a decent Amp?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use LS50 with that Onkyo.

Someone with Anthem MRX 510 with 5 x LS50, he added ATI 1805 and drives them properly. You will need a subwoofer. LS50 don't go that low people set crossover 80-100hz. 85dB sensitivity that is pretty low, so needs power.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Want them mainly for music and occasionally movies. The idea is to start with a 2.0 setup and at a later stage get a subwoofer as well.

thanks!
Sounds like a decent plan. What spl levels you need will dictate the amp need but for two channel use you're likely fine, especially if you'll be adding a sub later as that will help take the load off both the speakers and the amp.

Fatbottom has an odd preoccupation with ACD figures, which is just not an important spec, and 77W/ch x 7 is very decent among avrs in any case. If you need more amp later on you'll need a different avr or pre-pro/amp setup as it has no pre-outs for outboard amps.

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Fair enough, what do you think about my plan as described in my previous comment?
Would it work for some time before a get a decent Amp?
Yes. It will work. Just don't try to play them at insane levels.

It would help a lot to have a sub in the mix.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Here's btw some info on the receiver:

All Channels
165w (1kHz, 0.9%THD, 6ohms, 1ch driven)
95w (20-20kHz, 0.08%, 8ohms, 2ch driven)

Dynamic Power
240 W (3 ohms, Front)
210 W (4 ohms, Front)
120 W (8 ohms, Front)

Speaker Impedance
6 ohms - –16 ohms
It should work just fine, 95 watts for 2 channel at 8 ohms and can handle dynamics down to 3 ohms (LS50 minimal impedance is 3.4 ohms)
However, like others said, I would definitely add a subwoofer and cross over at 80Hz (if you are going to watch tv/movies, then subwoofer is a must, if you are only going to listen to 2 channel music, depend on what type of music you listen to, subwoofer is recommended but not definitely needed)

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Sounds like a decent plan. What spl levels you need will dictate the amp need but for two channel use you're likely fine, especially if you'll be adding a sub later as that will help take the load off both the speakers and the amp.

Fatbottom has an odd preoccupation with ACD figures, which is just not an important spec, and 77W/ch x 7 is very decent among avrs in any case. If you need more amp later on you'll need a different avr or pre-pro/amp setup as it has no pre-outs for outboard amps.
I am giving out bench tests, you know, using the scientific method. S&V test with 4 ohm speakers, they should really also test with 4 ohm speakers (all channels, all 4 ohm) as worst case scenario that is possible.

Another forum member has a Anthem 510 with 5 LS50's and he noticed a large jump with a ATI 1805.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
The Kef LS50 are low impedance, low sensitivity speakers FYI. 86dB and 4ohm. So they need a bit of power and a amp with a decent power supply.
LS50s are 8 ohm. 85db sensitivity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re

thanks!

Go for a more affordable (bang-4-yer-buck) brand that would be in your receivers league.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all!
@starmc26: I know that this would make total sense but I prefer to make a investment for speakers and later on udpate my amp instead of stuck with average speakers and receiver.

@Kini62: Yes, I am more of the chill listener type that prefer crystal clear quality over db's. Hopefully I 'll appreciate the sound of the LS50's.

@justthinking: cool! Any recommedations for subs?(don't want to spend a lot of money at this point in time --- so mainly looking for value for money solutions)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I wouldn't worry about getting amps commensurate to the value of the speaker or anything like that. It's better to spend to spend your money on a subwoofer (preferably two). The onkyo will be fine.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks for the comment Shrimp.
Nice profile pic btw ;)
What is your budget for the LS50 and subwoofer? More importantly, what's your location? Are you in the States?

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Thanks all!
@starmc26: I know that this would make total sense but I prefer to make a investment for speakers and later on udpate my amp instead of stuck with average speakers and receiver.

@Kini62: Yes, I am more of the chill listener type that prefer crystal clear quality over db's. Hopefully I 'll appreciate the sound of the LS50's.

@justthinking: cool! Any recommedations for subs?(don't want to spend a lot of money at this point in time --- so mainly looking for value for money solutions)
If you're planning on a nice stereo (2 channel) setup and don't require a ton of output a SVS SB1000 would be a nice compact good sounding sub at $500 with a 45 day trial period with shipping included.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts