AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I would like to know if this receiver is capable to receive 3D HD content from Directv or Cable with firmware upgrade or I have to get a 3D Ready receiver to handle this issue. Otherwise, I have to plug my UN55C8000 Sammy directly to my Directv HD DVR receiver with surround sound benifit. Please advice.

Thank you,

Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hardware, software or money ware ? I have the old Sony PS 3 which became 3D ready via an upgrade
. I suppose it's all down to manufacturers on how they want to interact with customer.

Sony after number of years still provides upgrades. The 3008 and 5008 came out less than 14 months after I dished out almost USD 2000/-?

Personally we consumers are suckers and will allow big bad boys do whatever they can get away with.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
You could always try the receiver with 3D(being 1.3 does not automatically mean 3D won't work).

Or, there are twin HDMI 3D BD players out there, so you don't have to run the 3D signal through the receiver.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20595961

You could always try the receiver with 3D(being 1.3 does not automatically mean 3D won't work).

Or, there are twin HDMI 3D BD players out there, so you don't have to run the 3D signal through the receiver.

The issue for me is not work arounds but manufacturers support who buy thier top products.

I don't just intend to use a 3d blu ray player but also a HTPC. How can Sony support but not Onkyo. Why should I experiment with my kit whilst Onkyo have people working on this type of stuff all the time. Simple, Onkyo wants to milk me every time there is a new bell or whistle comes out. Sony too wants to milk me but just not as often.

Mad cow

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmansd
The issue for me is not work arounds but manufacturers support who buy thier top products.

I don't just intend to use a 3d blu ray player but also a HTPC. How can Sony support but not Onkyo. Why should I experiment with my kit whilst Onkyo have people working on this type of stuff all the time. Simple, Onkyo wants to milk me every time there is a new bell or whistle comes out. Sony too wants to milk me but just not as often.

Mad cow
3D and other features are provided by specific chipsets and their firmware. CE manufactuers DO NOT write it themselves. When CE manufacturer contracts chipset vendor, they often go cheapest route and do not include updates into contract. Moreover chipset vendors may change yearly, so they only may have one year contract. When models are updated every year this is a cheapest way to do busyness, and busyness is all about profit, right? PS3 has different profit model, where device itself is sold for a loss, but money are made on games and subscription. In this case, it makes more sense to keep hardware the same (new sale brings a loss for Sony), but keep it up to date with modern games and software.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It will not work for Blu-ray 3D because the 3007 was not built to handle HDMI 1.4.

But if your cable box is using 1080i side-by-side or top-and-bottom 3D through lesser HDMI, it should pass through the Onkyo just fine because it will be no different than a standard 1080i frame, it just happens to have the picture split into two halves within the 1080i frame.

Of course the only way to know for sure is to try it.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
@ archaea

Technically, yes "any" receiver with pass through will pass 3D(all the way back to HDMI 1.2). The problem is in how fast is the repeating. When a receiver gets the signal to take audio off of it, it has to resend that signal un-altered. Very fast HDMI can do it unscathed. But HDMI 1.3 didn't HAVE TO BE high speed. Thare are, so far, only two changes between HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4...

Must be high speed(which is what 3D requires)

ARC

@ Mbrennem

Instead of saying "lesser HDMI", the appropriate term is Standard Speed. Yes Standard Speed works with 1080I SBS(if you can find anybody that uses it).

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmansd

Mad cow
There would not be a CE market for receivers if they only updated their products. Technology changes and most people were aware of the advent of HDMI 1.4/3D when the 3007 was released.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.