AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on a good sound system for my tv room. Medium sized room 25x14ish.

My setup is:

Panasonic TC-P54VT25

satalite tv (DISH)

PS3 for games/dvd/blue-ray

wii

apple tv

I would like a receiver that will take all these inputs and upscale them to 1080p to my tv. I would prefer it to also "pass through" the video signals to the tv even if the receiver is off. I'm looking for 7.1 surround primarily for tv viewing and not really for music.

I'm looking at the onkyo 608 and 708 receivers and the s9300thx htib. I like the 9300 since I wouldn't have to buy separate speakers. Any recommendations? Does the 9300 fit the bill or should I get the 608? If I get the 608 or 708 what speakers would be a good match in the 400-800 price range?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why not add the TX-NR808 to the mix ince the price has dropped drastically. They can be had for around $700 shipped. It caused me to jump on one...

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19569716

Go for the 608 or 708. The 708 would be the wisest choice for its ability to upgrade in the future if you should want. Also a better version of Audyssey IIRC. Good luck. Speakers below.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...-5-1-overview/

I'm considering the 608 and 708 too? What would the future upgrade abilities be? thx

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye8084 /forum/post/19570530

I'm considering the 608 and 708 too? What would the future upgrade abilities be? thx

With the 708 you can add an amp if you want. It has pre-outs and the 608 doesn't. I like to recommend an AVR with pre-outs due to the fact that an amp can be added. You may not want/need one now but if you change AVR's or speakers in the future your amp will be there for you. AVR's change semi-annually, amps don't. Just be sure that the next AVR you purchase has pre-outs and your'e good to go. The 708 also adds a better version of Audyssey which will EQ your sub. Is it needed? Not really you can always setup that system with a Radio Shack meter. The 708 also has multi-channel analog inputs for another feature. Is it something you need, again, maybe not. But its there for only a little more money. I tend to over purchase on my AVR's to a point where diminishing returns don't come into play. To me its better to have it and not need it than to be without it. Hope this helps in your decision. Either may do what you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts