AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo HT-R391 receiver (part of a HT-S3500 HTIB system) which will not power on at all.

I turned it off last night after using for several hours and it wouldn't not turn back on this evening. No lights. No clicking.

I disconnected all of the input cables and speaker wire and tried plugging it into a different, working power outlet. Still nothing.

Since it won't power on, click, flash lights or display anything, I presume it's most likely a power supply issue. Any recommendations for next steps? The whole HTIB kit cost me only $239.

Photos: imgur.com/a/clMqL

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately my unit doesn't qualify for that warranty extension and Onkyo warranties are only for 2 years I believe.

I checked the fuse on the power supply and it looks intact to me. There were also a couple of fuses on whatever board is next to the power supply and they looked identically intact: imgur.com/a/oaA4e

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an Onkyo HT-R391 receiver (part of a HT-S3500 HTIB system) which will not power on at all.

I turned it off last night after using for several hours and it wouldn't not turn back on this evening. No lights. No clicking.

I disconnected all of the input cables and speaker wire and tried plugging it into a different, working power outlet. Still nothing.

Since it won't power on, click, flash lights or display anything, I presume it's most likely a power supply issue. Any recommendations for next steps? The whole HTIB kit cost me only $239.

Photos: imgur.com/a/clMqL
What I am suggesting might be a total crap, but try to unplug the receiver from the power outlet and wait for about 30 mins before connecting it back again and see if it turns on.

Something similar happened to my desktop PC a while back and a member of a different forum suggested me to do the above, after which my PC booted up. I am not sure why it worked, but he told me that disconnecting the power for the PC's power supply unit would drain all the residual current from it's capacitors and that could have made the difference.

Again this may not be applicable to your case, but if it works then you are in luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Unfortunately my unit doesn't qualify for that warranty extension and Onkyo warranties are only for 2 years I believe.

I checked the fuse on the power supply and it looks intact to me. There were also a couple of fuses on whatever board is next to the power supply and they looked identically intact: imgur.com/a/oaA4e
How did you check the fuse ? It looked intact but maybe open unless you measure it out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I am suggesting might be a total crap, but try to unplug the receiver from the power outlet and wait for about 30 mins before connecting it back again and see if it turns on.

Something similar happened to my desktop PC a while back and a member of a different forum suggested me to do the above, after which my PC booted up. I am not sure why it worked, but he told me that disconnecting the power for the PC's power supply unit would drain all the residual current from it's capacitors and that could have made the difference.

Again this may not be applicable to your case, but if it works then you are in luck.
Thanks. I have tried leaving the receiver unplugged for several hours and plugging it back in but no dice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you check the fuse ? It looked intact but maybe open unless you measure it out.
I've never replaced a fuse before. Should I just try replacing the one on the power supply, or should I replace those other two on the nearby board as well (not sure if that's also part of the power supply)?

I didn't notice any other fuses in the box.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just checked the fuses with my multimeter and they are all good. Also checked the power cord and it's working. None of the capacitors look like they're leaking or have gone bad. Not sure what else I can easily check myself.

Since this was such a cheap system ($239 5.1 HTIB on Amazon 2.5 years ago), not worth paying someone to repair most likely.

What are your recommendations for a replacement? I'll probably keep the speakers and sub for a bit before upgrading, as I'm saving up for a home theater and this is just my living room setup.

I don't need anything fancy. 4+ HDMI ports, no need for HDMI, no need for smart features (I use my Chromecast for everything), no need for 3D or 4K video, no need for dual zones. 5.1 is sufficient.

On amazon, I was looking at:
- Denon AVR-S5000BT ($200 refurb)
- Yamaha RX-V377 ($179 new)
- Yamaha RX-V475 ($210 refurb)
- Marantz NR1403 ($245 refurb)

I'm tempted by the cheapest option because I don't need any special features, but interested in reliability and quality.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
You don't need 4K? So you never plan on buying another TV for the rest of your life. In a couple of years, you'll have no choice but to buy a 4K TV.

Wait a few months and get a HDCP 2.2 receiver. Otherwise in a few years, you'll wish you did. All receivers currently available are obsolete.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't need 4K? So you never plan on buying another TV for the rest of your life. In a couple of years, you'll have no choice but to buy a 4K TV.

Wait a few months and get a HDCP 2.2 receiver. Otherwise in a few years, you'll wish you did. All receivers currently available are obsolete.
Thanks. As I said, this is a setup in my small townhouse living room and I'm trying to save up for a nicer theater setup for the basement. By the time I'm ready to upgrade this TV to a 4K TV, I'll want to upgrade the receiver and speakers from its current HTIB-quality setup anyway.

Since I've got an inexpensive set up currently and want to save my money for something else (and the fact that I need a replacement receiver immediately), I think I'll just purchase the Yamaha and it should tide me over for awhile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.