AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys... im sorry if theres a handful of very similar threads, but im strugglin to find an answer, and i could spend months digging through every thread.

im looking to get a complete 7.1 system for my room(its a living room sized bedroom, so its decent square footage). ive kind of got my mind set on onkyo. they seem to be very reasonably priced, and have gotten pretty darn good reviews. i watch a lot of blu-rays on my ps3, and that is the primary reason i want to upgrade from my current 5.1 to a 7.1. also, my current system is a receiver with different brand speakers, and i just want to simplify and get a complete, all in one box, deal this time.

as of now im leaning towards the s5100, which is $450 on crutchfield at the moment. thats the ideal amount of money id like to spend, but i could fluctuate a little. the s5100 and sr800 have cheap prices, but they have the whole "only video through hdmi" thing going on. im wondering if its worth it to spend a couple hundred more and get something like the s6100 or sp908. as far as sound quality goes, does anyone know if theres much of a difference, or if it is just the few features. also, how big of a deal is the s5100 not carrying audio through hdmi?(buying a couple extra cords isnt a biggie).

being a college student, im on a somewhat tight budget, so getting the most bang for the buck is what im going for. im kind of set on one of these products, but id definitely be open minded if you had something similar to suggest (though i would definitely like to go with 7.1). any ideas, suggestions, opinions, or thoughts on the issue would help out a lot... thanks!

-nate

edit: if it makes any difference, this system would be hooked up to a samsung 46a550, ps3, and digital cable dvr

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
What kind of receiver, speakers, and sub do you have now? If you can work with what you have, maybe better speakers are in order. I’d rather have 5 decent speakers listening in Dolby Digital than 7 little HTiB speakers putting out lossless audio through HDMI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im about to finish my junior year in college... the receiver i have is a kenwood(not sure of exact model right now) and was an 8th grade graduation gift. my speakers are all pretty cheap - average, and i have no sub with this setup. its not a terrible stereo, but id rather just throw it in the room we have with a pool table, and get a new one for my room for movies/games.

also, im not looking for this to be a real long term set up. within 5 years when i have a career, and am on my feet ill probably completely re-do my AV set up.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Fair enough...since it’s a short term thing, I wouldn’t sink extra money into something just so you can hear TrueHD audio over HDMI. I really don’t think it makes a difference unless you have better speakers – but that’s just my opinion. You can do it all over when you’re making money and buy into the next best thing.

You might even consider saving a few more bucks and get refurbished if it doesn’t bother you too much. Accessories4less is an authorized seller for Onkyo and they come with a 1 year warranty (instead of 2 years for new):

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...e-BLACK/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-Sirius/1.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool... thanks man. ive never been to that website before; this is definitely an option for me at this point.

as i said before, im leaning towards the s5100, and it should definitely be an upgrade from my current set up... for $400, you cant do TOO much better, can ya?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.