AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to the whole home audio and video set ups. I recently purchased the Onkyo HT-S780 HTIB. I am having some difficulty understanding a connection. As of now, our cable at my apartment comes directly through the wall via antenna cable.

I was hoping to run the cable television antenna cable through the receiver but it seems as though the reciever does not have any antenna connections. I was thinking that maybe once I got a STB (or HD box from Time Warner) that I could hook the cable directly to the STB and that would give me a different output to the reciever?

What are my options?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Receivers normally wouldn't have an antenna input. You would normally run the cable line to your TV. Once you get a cable box you can run the audio and video out to your receiver or you can run the video straight to the TV.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derik75
I was thinking that maybe once I got a STB (or HD box from Time Warner) that I could hook the cable directly to the STB and that would give me a different output to the reciever?
Correct, the STB will have audio outputs, probably an optical digital audio connnector. Does your receiver have that kind of input?

Also, many TVs have stereo RCA cable connections for output. So if your TV has Stereo output, you can plug those into your Receiver, and your receiver can use that. Most receivers can also take a stereo connection, and turn it into fake surround sound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I just didnt know how I was supposed to run the antenna cable to the receiver when it doesnt have that sort of input.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have another question....When I scroll through the different listening modes on the receiver I notice that it doesnt scroll over "Dolby Digital", "Dolby Digital EX" and "DTS" modes. I have the DVD player hooked up via red and white rca cables. Do I need a coaxial or optical digital audio cable to unlock these modes?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derik75
I have another question....When I scroll through the different listening modes on the receiver I notice that it doesnt scroll over "Dolby Digital", "Dolby Digital EX" and "DTS" modes. I have the DVD player hooked up via red and white rca cables. Do I need a coaxial or optical digital audio cable to unlock these modes?
Yes. You will need to go to your DVD player's audio setup and change the audio out to Bitstream vs. analog. Then you will be good to go for DD and DTS. EX and ES will be decoded into the back channels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am having trouble finding that option in my DVD players menu. The ones that are listed under audio settings are "Downmix" and "Post DRC" with some options for each one. Then under the Dolby Digital menu they list "Dual Mono" and "Dynamic" with some options. Is there something I need to do in the DD menu?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I'm not familiar with those options. Check your manual for optical connections and audio setup. It should explain how to set your player's output from analog to digital. Perhaps it's automatic. Using the RCA jacks you are only getting 2channel analog. Bitstream is a single digital signal that allows your receiver to decode into DD or DTS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the receiver I have a digital selection button for the coaxial cable. I got it to work without having to change anything in my dvd player settings. Thanks for the help.

BTW - Is there some kind of guide that explains to me what these different numbers are about? ex. 1+1, 2/0, 3/1 etc.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Manual...

DD or DTS should be 3.3.1 or 3.2.1 or for 7.1 3.2.2.1 (I assume) - the numbers of speakers active.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.