AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from Fry's looking to purchase a set of jbl es80 which were only $144 each. After auditioning those speakers they are out of contention! Very thin and shrill sounding in comparison to other speakers in their showroom. As I was listening to each speaker, The salesman pointed out the Onkyo skf 4800 model. I told him I was uninterested in Onkyo, but he insisted that I give a listen and am very glad I did! They are VERY warm sounding and have a nice full bass without being boomy. I have a buddy that has the Pioneer sp pk52's and they are very clear, but to me really lack in the lower end. These Onkyo's are strong in that area. I currently own the Sony ss f7000's which are decent speakers, but provide boomy bass. Those were also in the listening room at Fry's. I have been reasonably pleased with the Sony's until I heard the Onkyo's. In the side by side listening test, the Sony's have a bright tweeter and a narrow soundstage, while the Onkyo's have a much wider sound. The closest speaker in the room to the onkyo's IMHO would be the Infinity Primus, which I would say are a very close competitor, but at an even lower price!!! The onkyo's have what I would describe as a laid back tweeter which I know everyone is not a fan of, but I personally can not stand for bright tweeters and these Onkyo's fit me just fine. I have heard more detailed sounding tweeters but again these favor more the warm side over bright. The mid range is clear a tad recessed but still fine. the midbass is where these Onkyo's earn there money! Awesome midbass response and nice bass response almost to the point of being able to do away with your sub. The only tower's I would say that bested the Onkyo's or Inifinty's were the Klipsch rf82II and the Polk rtia7, but those speakers are a level up and an unfair comparison and The RTI a7 are not far off from the Onkyo's or Infinity Primus. The Infinity's were $329 each while The Onkyo's are $399.99 a pair at fry's, and $250 a pair on Amazon. These may well be the new to go bargain speaker! Better than Pioneer and right on par with the Infinity Primus!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts